112 VU Meter not responding

DaveC

Gear owned
112, 122, DA20, DA30...
I have 3 Tascam 112 taperecorders, they have been unused for over 20 years, i replaced the belts and the pinchrollers, they work great now, but... with two of the three 112s there is a VU-meter not responding. When i play a tape with the output volume at 10 i see 1 of the meters that works, and i see the overload led blink... the other meter is not responding, the overload led however is also blinking. The meter is not blocked, when i put the tapedeck at it's side both meters sway out together... what can cause this and how do i solve this ?

If units are let sit for a long time the Electrolytics will go bad much faster and you need to get in and look with a scope as to where signals are and are not. A Technician's job unless you have the tools. Why does everyone post that they want an easy answer like change a fuse? Today's people do not even consider component level troubleshooting but that is what it will take to fix this and there are a lot fewer people now to do this. I am training some guys but the quantity I have will just make up for the loss of retirees and those that shut down their shops.

I have 3 tascam 112s and the problem is on 2 of them,so i did some troubleshooting myself today. I took the working unit out of one 112 and put it in the 2 faulty ones. Worked perfect so i figure the problem is in the meter pcb board or in the vu meter itself. So i tested the meters with the same voltage they received when they got a signal, they all work. So i think it must be in the capcitors on the pcb there are 4 capacitors per pcb board so i will change them all. That should fix the problem.

OK, But that is using a rather abstract way to find the problem but if it works who am I.

New threads

Members online