16x08 routing

drmdzh

Gear owned
US 16x08
I have a 16x08 running on MacBook Air - works just great. I record using Logic Pro, have had no issues at all.

I have a question about routing though. Is it possible to send different mixes out of the different outputs? If so, how does one do that? Ideally I would like 3 different mixes - they can be mono -one for room monitors, one for a drum monitor, and one for a mix going to an iPhone (this is for live broadcasting the band.)

It looks to me that the Phones and Line Out 1-2 are always the same, right?

Thanks.

Hey there drmdzh. Thanks for asking my question! Looking forward to us getting some help! :)

OK - I worked this out!!

I am using a combination of Logic and the Tascam setting panel.

In Tascam setting panel:
Line 1&2 - master L/R (this is the default) - I hook my desk monitor speakers up to this so it will play anything from the computer - iTunes, youtube, or the main stereo out from Logic.
Line 3, 4 etc - Computer 3, 4 etc
Basically after much messing about, I think I ended up back at the defaults.

Now, to get different mixes for my room monitors, drum monitor and webcast, I go into Logic.

So in LOGIC:

Input each signal to a new track. Mix to busses as needed (drum bus, vocal bus - whatever).

For each bus mix that I want going to the broadcast (which will include all tracks) - I set the OUTPUT to MONO OUPUT 6.

For each other mix, I SEND to a new bus for that mix (so "Drum Monitor" or "Room Monitor" busses). I then set the OUTPUT of those busses : Room Monitor = Output 3/4; Drum Monitor = Output 5.

So now on the back of the 16x8 I plug the iRig into Output 6, Drum monitor into Output 5, Room monitors into 3 and 4. (all of this is mono mix).

SET ALL TRACKS TO RECORD ENABLE.
SET ALL TRACKS TO INPUT MONITORING.

Now the mixes for the room and drum monitors are controlled by the bus SENDS, the mix for the iRig is controlled by the bus faders, and overall level for each mix is controlled by their bus.

I can also add Logic effects to each track or bus (but do this sparingly or there will be laggyness as it is trying to do it in real time.

IT WORKS!

And I suppose I could create more mixes until I ran out of outputs (2 more) but no need.

I save the whole set-up in logic, including levels, so it;s the same each time we broadcast. I'm still working on the mix but this has more to do with the instrument input levels than anything else.

does anyone know how to make the outputs assignable? I have 8 outputs but it only seems you have a choice between computer and left and right. I want toi assign the outputs such as input 1 can be assigned to output 1 for sending to a PA system channel. likewise with the other channels input 2 assigned to output 2 etc etc..... can this be done on the 16x8?

New threads

Members online