22-4 vs. 34

markjazzbassist

From
New Orleans, LA
Gear owned
388, 3340S, RS-20, MX-80
I used to have a Tascam 388 (loved it), Otari MX5050 2 track, and Teac 3340S 4 track but had a son and money got tight so i sold it all. I'm looking to get back into the game with a 4 track with the emphasis on SMALL. These are the 2 smallest teac/tascam units and weigh the least as well.

The 22-4 has input and output gain controls, the 34 doesn't not. I am a man of simplicity so the 34 is alluring in this way. Do the input/output controls add any noise to the circuit (would the 34 be a cleaner sound)? Lastly, in all or y'all's exerience, is it better to have the Input/Output on the Reel, or just use your mixer for levels?

Please advise.

The 22-4 is a lower cost consumer model.The 34 is the one to get-and there are more spare parts available since it shared many parts with the 32 and 38 Tascam models,also easier to work on and the 34 is set up for"pro" IEC EQ curve.The weak point in the 22-4 is the transport switches-one assy. which switches 110 VAC across the contacts. The whole switch assy. fails with no replacement part. available.

I think he is confusing the 22-2 with the 22-4 which is a solenoid deck with Tact switches in the keyboard. Out of the parts that fail on a 22-4 it is the cheaper meters that they used to save money. There is a reason it was the bottom of the line. It has no 120V going through the switch assembly and 30 Vdc is the highest voltage it switches through relays and transistors.

By the way, I have a modification that allows relays to be substituted in for defective alps switches in the 22-2. I have installed and tested this mod and it is now out in the field.
Contact me if you need the schematics

New threads

Members online