2488, 2488mkii, 2488NEO, DP24 - Which is best?

Discussion in '2488 and DP-24/32 Digital Portastudios' started by Numerov, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Numerov

Numerov New Member

I'm a Tascam newbie - so have lots of questions on the following 24-track machines - 2488, 2488mkii, 2488NEO, DP24.....

When recorded flat to a track - which machine "sounds" the best?

Which machine is easiest to use?

Which machine has drum machine?

Which Machine has tone generator?

Which machine has virtual tracks?

Which machine has most effects?

Which machine has best effects?

How many mic-preamps does each machine have?

Which machine records largest number of simultaneous tracks?

Thanks

Numeov
  2. old man roland

old man roland New Member

Gear:
    dp-32
    Hey Numerov all the info you need can be found by surfing around the net. Music Radar, Home Recording Forums.com , and Sound on Sound online reviews were very helpfull before I picked up my DP-32 . All the machines you mention are basically the same with some features added and some dropped with each new model. The biggest difference is now the DP series uses SD cards while the previous ones were hard drive . I am very pleased with mine , easy to use , sounds great and you have the option of taking the SD card to a friends DAW for more advanced editing etc...
  3. Barkyboy

Barkyboy New Member

Gear:
    Tascam 2488 Neo
    From what I can tell , The 2488 Neo does not have the Drum machine as in the MKII. I am a little disappointed with this, because I am a terrible drum programmer. I am attempting to work around this issue by syncing via Midi to a Roland DR-770 drum machine. Still, I hate the mechanical feel of a drum machine , but learning to live with it.
  4. jrwfoxx

jrwfoxx New Member

Gear:
    2488+2488MKII+2488NEO
    2488, 2488 mkII were great it their day but now their mechanical parts are getting OLD! Pots and sliders don't age well no matter how much deoxit you throw in there. Even Neos are a couple of years old now so they are getting scratchy too. And hard drives are always destined for failure. Plus the 2488 doesn't like vibration much. If you can tolerate that sort of nonsense, buy one for cheaper on eBay.

DP24 and 32 offer you newer, less mechanical and unfortunately, a bit less than the 2488 experience. Still a good value if you must have hands on stuff. But you may have a quieter experience if you use DAW.

This is a great forum! Keep it up!!!