2488 Encoder

Scott Tribbey

Gear owned
2488 neo, dp24, dp008
The encoder in my $10 2488 neo works pretty well, but it's counter-clockwise operation misses some rotations whereas the clockwise operation is perfect.

I may be able to get it back in shape with some Deoxit G5 but I probably want to replace the encoder in the long term.

The 2488 service manual seems to be nowhere so I can't find any info on the encoder. Has anyone here done an encoder repair on a 2488? This is almost certainly the same encoder used on the 2488 mk1 and mk2. It could even be the same as the dp24 but that's not a sure thing.

Any info would be appreciated. Also, anybody with info in a service manual for the 2488 neo could pm me and that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
I will check later on today when I get home and see if I still have service literature on the 2488 Neo. Unfortunately I am pretty sure I have gotten rid of all my Neo spare parts. BTW, a good place for TASCAM parts is Full Compass. They come through many times when TASCAM can't or simply won't. The best bet is to call therm and not go by the parts list they show online as they can get most anything you need if in existence.

FullCompass doesn't seem to carry the part according to the website site. I will have to call them.

I removed the main encoder knob and sprayed DeOxit G5 around the shaft of the encoder and dropped a little through the registration hole onto the encoder.

I let it all dry for a couple hours and fired it back up. The encoder seems much better now. Pretty much consistent in either direction.

Encoder is better, but still not great. Full Compass does carry the part. It's a pain to install but I'm going to have to do it.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.