2488 mk2 midi transport control; do-able?

Minarikman

Gear owned
2488 mk2
Hi all: spent weeks trawling the t'interwebs for any info regarding the feasibility of this but being principally a guitarist my understanding of MIDI is limited to say the least, in a nutshell...

Got a few bits of kit cluttering up the floor space and without a prehensile tail and some intensive tap/jazz dance classes actually putting it to use is just unfeasible. I'm running a Roland GR33 guitar synth alongside my old skool Zoom GFX8 floor FX into a Tascam 2488 mk2 all of which have MIDI in outs. There are a few bits of ancillary gear (looper principally) that I can tack into the audio chain but what I'd like to be able to do is have all the floor units off the deck and out of the way and the whole shebang controlled via a single MIDI foot controller... 'ello 'ello what's this?... a Behringer FCB1010?... looks the business... ten presets in ten banks... a pair of switched relay outs.. brick $h**house construction... hellish programming... yoink! Straight out of the box with the gig gunge cleaned off it flicked through patches on the Roly with no assistance from me. Brilliant, it works at least. Slowly letting all the jargon seep in so setting it up with the Zoom and the GR33 should be straightforward if long winded till I get up to speed.
The real motivation though was to be able allocate a bank of buttons to remotely control the Tascam's transport via its MIDI sockets so that during jams and rehearsals (should anything promising emerge from the din) I can tap up to say Bank 3 and the ten switches will handle Play - Stop - REC - FF - REW - punch in/out (could do that via the relay outs) and in a perfect world insert marker points. How hard can that be?

Now I see from the manual on page 109 a list/table of something called "MMC bitmap commands" including a list of bits that can be sent to the tascam in order to, presumably, control most of the basic transport functions. Of course I now discover that the Behringer doesn't kick out MMC instructions anyway :mad::LOL: (as far as I can determine and subject to correction from someone who actually knows about these things)

So the FCB won't cut it as it sits even with the UNO update (fitted) but I'm staring at a Novation 61 SL keyboard/controller with a bunch of MIDI sockets on it so was wondering if that might be rigged as a go between to generate MMC messages to the TASCAM in response to triggers from the Behringer?
Did Tascam offer a remote controller for the 2488? Got a horrible feeling this is gonna take a lot of coffee...

Ahaaa... thought it worth plugging this Novation keyboard into the Tascam's MIDI in socket as a 'shot to nothing'. There's a section of its front panel with a set of dedicated transport control buttons. I guessed they were intended to trigger sequencers but gotta be sending some form of MMC as opposed to note/pitch/duration data. Blimey!... it works!

New threads

Members online