2488neo help with repair

LauraDv

Gear owned
2488NEO
Any info relating to renewing the stop/play switches
Thanks Laura

Reactions: -mjk-
All I can offer is...

Be sure to check the "TASCAM DIY Repairs and Mods" forum down below, and also Google it -- as you might be surprised what is out there for info.

I also see "Deoxit D5" brand contact-cleaner spray mentioned on some keyboard forums for use on older (likely "dusty") equipment, but it probably only works if you can get it into the switch. The listing on Amazon says it is "Safe For Plastics".

I've never used it -- but many musicians report it often works well.

Old No7

Edit to add:
As an FYI, all of my keyboards & mixer, and now my new Tascam DP-24SD, all have On-Stage dust covers on them when not in use.

DeOxit or a similar contact cleaning spray should do the job.

If I may add, DeoxIt should help in general, but just spraying the buttons from the outside of the 2488neo may not get the job done.

Please take a look at the following image I just put together that is an illustration of the buttons that are underneath the "buttons". The buttons we push as a user is large plastic "caps" that actually push smaller buttons underneath that are on the circuit board we can't see.

It's these buttons on the circuit board that the contact cleaner would need to get to in order to help clean dirt and residue that have gotten there. Spraying the outside plastic "buttons" won't get the spray to the actual circuit board buttons because those buttons we actually press are larger than the buttons underneath on the circuit board that are actually what gets dirty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mQoAbBbemFe2s4ZHmBxrkOE8FxLIVEo_/view?usp=sharing

It makes the cleaning a bit more complicated because to really clean those buttons, you'd have to get to the actual circuit board inside. Spraying outside in may help but if it doesn't, this hopefully explains why.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Great info Tom! That drawing will help many users of similar equipment. It's also the reason I started using a dust cover on day 1.

Good luck to the original poster.

Old No7

@Old No7 -- Thank you.

I fully agree. I keep covers on gear, as well. I also keep things in padded cases when not in use.

My wife and friends all tease me that I have cases for my cases. But all my gear is clean, working and looking great for a very long time.

I bought a used 2488 recently and that thing is a horrid mess. Clearly, someone spilled something into it and I found so much dirt and grit inside that it looks like they then stored it in a literal kid's sandbox while the sticky residue dried.

Tearing that thing completely apart was a journey in learning how NOT to treat your gear. There will be a point that no matter how much DeoxIt and toothbrushes you use, the gear is permanently history.

But I also learned what the 2488 Portastudios look like inside with all the circuit boards and wires and cabling disconnected and removed. Well worth the price of admission to try and save this one I bought. But it is too far gone, sadly.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online