4800 IF-TD/DM card doesn't work at hi sample rate

From
Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin
Website
www.recordingstudio330.com
Gear owned
Tascam 4800 (2)
I have a DM 4800 with 2 Tdif extension cards. Neither card seems to work at high sample rates (88.2/96) but they do work at normal sample rates (44.1/48). When set to high sample rates, the cards only pass loud white noise and a soft distorted audio signal. I tried different clocking scenarios without success.

Do these cards not work at high sample rates or are my cards or my board defective?

Do the internal TDIF ports work at hi-speed?

The ADAT cards do not do hi-res (unlike the internal ADAT buss), I've always assumed that the tdif cards have the same limitation...although I've not seen anyone confirm this.

That's where I was going with this. Thinking that all the expansion cards might have this limitation.

The internal TDIF ports work flawlessly at high sample rates. I also have the firewire card installed which works. But the TDIF cards only work at normal sample rates, not at high rates. I called Tascam and talked to Brian (tech support). He'll check into it and get back to me (he didn't know).
What's screwy is that there is no documentation on this.

My guess is like the ADAT expansion cards, they only support 44.1/48. I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your board.

Very interesting. So, am I getting this right: Version 1.30 allows for hi-speed transmission on all 8 channels of the three built-in TDIF ports? And even on external TDIF cards? What's dual line vs Hi-Speed? Can you explain? Thanks!

What firmware is your mixer using. Did you follow the instructions on how to change to high speed for the internal TDIF? Did you read about the expansion card? Everything is explained in what I sent.

Firmware on my 4800 is 1.70. The info you found is for the DM3200, so I'm not sure that the firm ware versions match up. Yes, I actually did read the info that you sent (thank you for digging that up!) and am trying to translate that into my reality. I find the lingo in the Tascam manuals hard to understand. I will check into this again tomorrow (Friday).

Update: the Firewire expansion card on the 4800 does work at high sample rates but the TDIF expansion card does not.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.