488 MKII won't record on track 8

obZen

Gear owned
414MKII, 424MKII, 488MKII
Before I say anything, yes the sync is off. The problem is simply that track 8 won't record. Channel 8 plays back just fine when I flip the tape (track 1 flipped) and I can also record through channel 8 onto other tracks. When I engage the machine for recording on track 8, both track 8 meter and the stereo mix meter light up. But it doesn't record. I don't think it's an issue with the sync switch because when it is on, track 8 meter doesn't show, but the stereo meter does. And when the sync is off, both meters light up.

However, when I record 'nothing' to test the erase ability of track 8, it works perfectly fine. It erases what I had recorded on the flipped track 1. So I think the issue is isolated to the record ability of track 8. I cleaned the heads with 91% isopropyl and even though it was my first time, I think I did it it correctly.

I opened up the machine and checked as well as reconnected all the connectors. One guy on another forum pointed out a specific 8 pin connector on a vertical PCB that could be the culprit, but I went through all of them anyway. He seems to think it's a faulty relay. I'm no electrical engineer but I have built EQ, compressor, and preamp kits. Those are more like Legos for audio nerds though and I don't have much knowledge of the deeper workings. My soldering technique ain't bad though!

The other more minor issue is the headphone jack is scratchy and cuts out a bit when I move it around. Maybe it's a bad solder joint? I tried reconnecting the connector to the tiny headphone PCB but it didn't do anything.

I'm quite amazed at the sound quality achieved by this machine... 8 tracks on an 1/8" cassette! I would love to get it working. Any ideas or advice?

Last edited:
obZen have you considered a bad mic\line switch? I have that model and had an issue like yours with track 1. I replaced that switch and it worked perfectly. The switch can wear out over the years.

Do you mean the 3 way switch at the very top of the channel (line/tape/multi mix)?

Last edited:
@obZen you may try touching up the solder joints on the board for that switch. Doesn't cost anything to try. Pressing on PB switches can put pressure on the PCB and stress-crack solder joints sometimes.

Broken sync.switch?

I considered it was the sync switch initially, but the meter on track 8 lights up when passing audio through it when sync is off. When sync is on, no audio registers on the meter. That makes me think the sync switch is working correctly.

@-mjk- Yes that's a good idea. I just made a post asking if 3-way switches are all interchangeable in all Portastudio models as there is a cheap, broken one I may buy to cannibalize. I just thought... say the switch is stuck on 'tape' even though it appears to be on 'line'... would bouncing a track to track 8 identify if this is the problem?

Also, unfortunately, GRP 3/4 has stopped outputting audio. It must have been something I did because it was working before I tried to repair track 8 (tried switching relays, among other things). So this is becoming a huge frustration... but i'm determined!

Reactions: -mjk-
Don't give up, but be methodical. Keep notes on what you do, and the results you observe. You'll get it sorted out!

New threads

Members online