644 panning issue

Born

Gear owned
Tascam 644 midistudio
I just bought a 644 midistudio... basically was after a mixer with two auxiliary sends and saw this for a hundo and thought 'cool, added tape recorder thing'. It seems its a little more complicated then that haha....

I've been reading the manual and trying to get my head around it but one problem i'm struggling with is panning.

On the dual mixer section everything works fine... a mono signal comes through both right and left monitors and pans accordingly. When using the main mixer section everything is always panned hard left... when i pan right there is no volume. What am i missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated ☺

Other potentially useful info... same thing happens on all channels.

Sound comes through both speakers when mono button is pressed. Also when playing back through tape. Each channel only provides sound from left when panned dead centre (zero volume when panned right). Same thing on all channels....

What could be happening is that the assignment of the channels are too many. What I mean is if you want to pan left to right on buss 1 and 2 then just press those buss buttons down and it should work. When you push down more than two buss assignments down they may be trying to pan top two busses to bottom two busses or even and odd buss numbers. So if you want to pan just between 1 and 2 then only push those down and give it a try.

Hi Born;

I have a solution for the Panning issue you've described. I had the same exact issue.

Switch to Preset 5, or set up a Scene like the one on the top left of Page 55 of the Tascam 644 Midistudio Owner's Manual. - A link to that page is listed below.

Both Groups 1 (Left channel info) and Group 2 (Right channel info) need to be active for each or all channels for the 644 to behave in the conventional manner your description implies you (and I) expected.

One odd thing about the 644 is it needs to be told everything. Even things you'd be inclined to take for granted shouldn't have to be.

If the deck powers up to a preset that isn't set up something like Scene 5, you may indeed get the panning anomaly you've described. That among many other unexpected behaviors and unavailable functions and features.

The good news is, It's all in the manual. But the manual is set up in an unusual way. Information on specific functions is not contiguous. A function is identified one one page, described on another, and defined in context on yet another, all pages and pages apart. And the basic concepts of those features may appear only as a blurb in an overview paragraph mixed in with tips on product care and lightning protection.

These are nice Decks, and the good news is that if you find one with the power supply, there's a good chance it's had little use. It seems relatively few people made it through the leaning curve.

On the other hand, If someone got in there and tried to change the backup battery, or belt themselves - caveat emptor.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1355797/Tascam-Midistudio-644.html?page=55#manual

New threads

Members online