688 gear grease?

notbillcosby

I just got a Tascam 688! I need to replace the belt and would like to lube up the capstan, flywheel, and gears in the transport as long as I’m in there. What should I use? I have some Super Lube Synthetic grease, would that work on the gears and the butt end of the flywheel?

First the requirement is to clean off all old contaminants and other junk that gets in there. I use Lubriplate 105 for a number of years and never had a bad reaction or failure.
AMS synthetic oil is used in the capstan bearing.

Reactions: bgencarelle
Thanks for the reply! I’ll see what EBay has for sale, u less you have a better suggestion for where to order from.

What about the AMS stuff? All it pulls up is what looks like motor oil when I search.

Yes, for some reason I tried the AMS Signature Synthetic motor oil 10W30 in my case in some capstan bearing and found that the formula is light years ahead of other oils and can result in some real crazy numbers that have never been seen before. Imagine a unit called the A2000R a model made even before the Teac A2300S was made having a wow and flutter measurement of
.02%wrms JIS. I had to measure it three or four time to see what was going on. Never in the 45 years of tape deck work has the wow and flutter ever gotten lower that .06 to .05%. This is what sparked such a response I posted on Tapeheads.net in that this oil when used correctly will result in performance in a older unit that will render the unit better than new in that respect.
I know it seems like magic but when you do enough units and slide the capstan shaft back into a capstan bearing to distribute the oil it becomes immediately obvious why the reading are so low. The oil makes the shaft slide in like silk. Rollers also turn with much less resistance as well. I have put regular oil on pinch roller bearings and they turned easier, but to have a Pinch Roller free spin on a shaft is also an indication that friction is being reduced to lower limits.
You can use what you want but I tell people what I see and then it is up to them

I have replaced the belt, cleaned and lubed everything I can, sanded and cleaned the idler tire and pinch roller, both of which seem fine. With no tape in, I can get it to FF. RW tries for a bit and gives up, and Playback is sluggish and seems to struggle. Are my motors shot? I wouldn't think the reel motor has a problem if I can get FF to work... But then again, the FF struggles and stops when I have a tape in, so maybe it's weak. I haven't tried a new idler tire because this one seems fine, but maybe I can give that a shot. This still doesn't answer the sluggish playback. Any ideas?

I have found a replacement motor MABUCHI-EG-530AD. It runs a bit faster than the stock motor, but you can adjust it to run a bit slower.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.