8 Miles High with Synth9, talking machine and other FX

Stephen Jones

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32SD
https://soundcloud.com/user-842688611/8-miles-high-clark-mcguinn-crosby

This is the Psychedelic "Raga-Rock" song from off of the Byds' third album "Fifth Dimension" and recorded on TASCAM DP-32SD.

Recorded with Guild D-50 Acoustic and Ric 360/12 guitars, as well as Cassio keyboard and Yamaha RX-5 Drum Machine. Guitar Effects and Keyboard tones used are:

-- E-H Synth9 Synthesizer Emulation Guitar FX; Mini Moog, Moog Bass and EHX Mini synthesizer simulation FX.

-- E-H Talking Machine Vocal Formant Filter -> Run through Vox Wah. This shows up during the instrumental around 3:00.

-- Keyboard "tones" = Slap Bass, Cello, crashing Cymbal run through ART DR-X 2100 ""Photo Flange" FX, Shaker sounds.

Sounds of Jet Airplane taking off, flying by and landing, including cockpit chatter along with warning and computer sounds. These are used at the beginning and ending of the song.

I think you're on to something here.

I would work on the vocal performance - try to bring that part of your game up a little. And, in my opinion, you could lose the E-H Talking Machine Vocal Formant Filter thingy. It's distracting. But nice thick mix with lots going on. Keep after it!

Thanks for your feedback! I am not much of a singer, so you are on the button there. My range is limited and I frequently bury the vocals a bit so they don't detract too much. I find synthesizer sounds help that. I know in this and other vocals I tend to hit a few flat notes. I have been thinking about doing a lot of practice recording with the keyboard and singing individual notes to focus more on hitting the correct pitch with strength. Other than that, I don't really know any techniques for fixing my vocals.

I actually like the Talking Machine thing for the brief instrumental and ending. I particularly like the deep growly sounds on the lower notes of the E string. But that is obviously just a personal opinion, and I appreciate yours. I also think its similar to using a Wah. It can be very interesting when used sparingly, but shouldn't be overused.

Thanks again!

Cool track very well performed and produced

Great stuff

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback. It was a lot of fun to create.

I am (slowly) working on an instrumental "Sound Collage" of the Doors' The End using Sitar, tamboura and synth sounds from my Synth9. I am also looking into getting hold of a "Squaver PI" synth, but am very rusty with synth and am cracking open some books. So it may take awhile until I post again.

New threads

Members online