A few questions dp32sd

snappy

Gear owned
Dp32sd
The biggest selling point to choosing my new dp32sd was finding Phil's tutorials (I sent him a donation).
I then found this forum so that and the tutorials.... I knew I'd be in better shape than just having a manual.
To say I have spent 50 hours immersing myself in tutorials, the forum and the manual would be a conservative estimate.
That being said I have a few questions that if they can be found in the abundancy of information I have come across I apologize for asking these questions but would like to ask anyway.
1.) When you have saved an incomplete song that just got off the ground-maybe you have a few tracks recorded but are keeping them and have added many more-do you personally save the more complete version and erase the older version?
2.) How or Can I turn the stereo tracks into mono tracks?
It seems as though I accomplished this once early on (could be wrong) but didnt have luck later on.
3.) Is "pre" to only add effects as you are recording into a track and therefore will be irrelevant if you intend to record "dry" signals?
Thank you.

1.) When you have saved an incomplete song that just got off the ground-maybe you have a few tracks recorded but are keeping them and have added many more-do you personally save the more complete version and erase the older version?

I continue to work on the same song until it's finished. I make backups along the way. I also make pre-production versions where I do anything I want. I keep them all, but maybe not on the card, but in a backup folder on the PC.

2.) How or Can I turn the stereo tracks into mono tracks?

Assign screen, ST/MONO button F3.

3.) Is "pre" to only add effects as you are recording into a track and therefore will be irrelevant if you intend to record "dry" signals?

"Pre" simply means that the FX send off that channel is sent out the jack in the back, before the fader. So you'll get a signal out even if the fader is down and nothing is going to the Stereo bus. "Post" means the signal comes after (and thus follows a relationship to) the fader.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I would take as many opinions I can get I appreciate yours.
#2 thanks
#1 I, too, record only one song beginning to end.
I still have only the sd card provided when I bought the machine.
On a saved version of a song I had used up so much space on the card that when I tried to save tracks I bounced from version 1 and parts I added to that original version I didnt have enough space to save version 2 so I deleted version one.
In my provided example I kept things simple by saying 3 tracks recorded in 1st version is there any reason to save that if they are keepers and instruments have been added to those 3 tracks(or whatever arbitrary number to make a point).
#3 I wish the answer provided (I am sure it makes perfect sense to many)
was
more clear to me.
I'll try asking this way...
Can the 2nd "second effect" be applied along with the first "send effect" after you record a dry part that will only get effects added via the dp32sd and not with external effects (if thats what "out the jack in the back" refers to).
To my knowlege only one of the two send effects that can be seen on the "mixer" screen-can be added to the track after its been recorded-not both simultaneously.
-Obviously ignoring for now that you can bounce to another track one send effect added to the dry version and can keep bouncing and adding effects each time to achieve what I ask-albeit obviously taking twice as long.

Last edited:
Re #3, here's a comprehensive discussion:
As mj wrote, "Pre" means pre-fader (the track fader doesn't impact the signal level going to the effect, either internal or external. The level to the effect is set only by the track "Send" level knob for the track, and the Master Send knob, which impacts all tracks). "Post" fader means that in addition to the track Send knob and the Master Send knob, the fader also controls the relative level of the track signal in the effect's sound field vis a vis other tracks also being sent to the same effect. These various level controls permit lots of options for creativity when doing a Mixdown.

In the Eqipment Tips sticky you will find a detailed post on using Send 1 and Send 2 simultaneously to apply outboard effects to one or more dry tracks during Mixdown. Send 2 can only be used with outboard gear.

Send 1 can be connected to outboard gear and you can also apply the internal effects at the same time, so Send 1 can be used to apply two effects simultaneously to one or more dry tracks during Mixdown. Only Send 1 can be used with the internal effects, and in that event only one of the internal effects is available at a time to Send 1.

Using both Send 1 and Send 2 in conjunction with outboard gear, three effects could be applied simultaneously to one or more dry tracks during Mixdown.

You could also use a Send bus to route a Track signal to one of the 8 Inputs and Assign that Input directly to the Stereo Bus to take advantage of the Dynamic effects during Mixdown. This requires some critical thinking/planning before hand to avoid unintended and dangerous feedback loops. Phil Tipping's videos 14a and 14b demonstrate how to use this technique.

The Production Tips sticky has a post describing other ways to add multiple effects during Mixdown that do not involve combining the dry/wet signals on a bounce track.

Phil Tipping's "Definitive Summary of Effects" sticky is also an excellent reference.

The Production and Equipment Tips stickies have several posts that discuss various ways to use the track sends for different purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Re #1:
Splurge on $15 and get an approved 32gb card. Search for Sam Trenholmes excellent post on buying SD cards for the DP/24/32/SD. There's also information on SD cards in the Equipment Stickies.

Why save everything? Perhaps you want to memorialize your work for future reference purposes. Perhaps someday you may want to do a complete remix of your work. There could be lots of other personal or business reasons.

Standard IT practice is grandfather/father/son backups. Remember, your DP-32SD is fundamentally a computer. It doesn't hurt to follow IT procedures to protect valuable data.

Only you can decide how far to go to preserve your work.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you both for taking time to reply.
Also referring me to certain stickies is helpful now and in the future.
I have poured over much info here,
the tutorials and
the manual
(50 hours would be a conservative estimate).
Sometimes its overwheming, the content therein,
but am glad to have an abundance as opposed to not.
Occasionally, its like trying to find a needle in the haystack and I thought I'd do myself a favor and get some direct help this time.
Before I unboxed all the equipment needed to begin my endeavor I bought a sandisk 64g card and then read up that it was not recommended and then flew with the provided card because it will hold all the info I need given I am just dealing with one song for now and will be getting a 32g in the near future.
I am in a different forum where I am one of the people with the answers and am patient with the newbies.
The karma wheel has swung and
I am
the thankful "greenhorn" on a subject now.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online