Adding an audio interface to my do 24 sd

This may not be the manner in which the interface was intended to be used. But even if an interface coloured the signal more than the mic preamp of the recorder, if the result is desirable then for me it justifies the method.
Totally agree here. I say, there are no rules and it's the result that counts. So if you can get the thing powered and you like the sound: Go for it!

Reactions: -mjk-
My Scarlett 18i20 needs to be connected to a computer before you can route anything through it.

Seriously, the mic pres in the DP series are really good.

Reactions: Mark Richards
@Arjan P I agree wholeheartedly with that approach and have said words to that effect myself on several occasions. My issue in this case is lack of information. It someone buys a piece of gear with the intention of using it in an application for which it is not specifically designed and does not work there will be blame for that. As Mark pointed out, this elusive interface hasn't been identified as one that will work (has pass through functionality). TBH, I don't know if my 2 channel Dante interface does either because I exclusively use the Dante interface to get I/O with the PC. I would not consider using it as a standalone mic pre because I own a tube mic pre with a compressor (that cost about 1/2 of what the Dante interface did).

Ultimately when things don't work there is more burden of support on the forum members with followup posts about the failure to achieve the desired outcome. Personally I think we've all devoted enough time and energy to this thread. Until there is more information forthcoming I'm going to consider this matter closed. Of course, I hope it works but I would hate to see someone buy a USB audio interface to be used as a mic pre and find out it doesn't provide the desired outcome.

Thanks for the reminder that the only thing that matters when it comes to audio is the outcome.

My Scarlett 18i20 needs to be connected to a computer before you can route anything through it.

Seriously, the mic pres in the DP series are really good.

Personally I wouldn't bother using a USB interface over the DP inputs, but I do have a first-gen 18i20 and it can operate standalone - it remembers the IO settings that were last made with the PC utility. (In fact, my DP24/Model12 connects to the speakers via the 18i20 and a patchbay, and I usually use those devices without the PC even being turned on).

So technically, it could be done. I just can't see much point in it.

@Arjan PIt someone buys a piece of gear with the intention of using it in an application for which it is not specifically designed and does not work there will be blame for that.
That's true, sure, but I didn't see the OP mention he was going to buy a device for this reason. Assuming he has one lying around and likes the sound of its preamps - I say go for it! And besides, who is going to be blamed?

Anyway, a so called 'burden of support' is someting I've never experienced on any non-commercial peer group forum. You either participate in a discussion or not, it's a free world.

...I didn't see the OP mention he was going to buy a device...Assuming he has one lying around...
Idk, Arjan. Cobbling together his disjointed descriptions, it looks like this:
...USB that looks like the cord that comes say with the scarlet...

...the focusrite I had just plain cleaned up the vocals and gave it more boost...

...So far I am not that impressed with my vocal sound using a Rode Nt1-A but then again this machine is so much different than my last digital portastudio.

So, as I wrote in my previous post, my guess: it's not the audio interface's pre-amp he's after; rather it's the "Air" FX built into the Focusrite Scarlet that had given him his "better" sound and "boost"on his former (circa 2005?) 788 portastudio.

The DP-24/32/SD Input's Dynamic Exciter very likely would give him what he's looking for with the Rode mic, nothing else required. That's why I recommended he first give that a try.

At this point I too think this thread is played out absent any additional useful information from the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stew71
Personally I wouldn't bother using a USB interface over the DP inputs, but I do have a first-gen 18i20 and it can operate standalone - it remembers the IO settings that were last made with the PC utility. (In fact, my DP24/Model12 connects to the speakers via the 18i20 and a patchbay, and I usually use those devices without the PC even being turned on).

So technically, it could be done. I just can't see much point in it.
yeah but you can't change routing

Reactions: Stew71
That's true, sure, but I didn't see the OP mention he was going to buy a device for this reason. Assuming he has one lying around and likes the sound of its preamps - I say go for it! And besides, who is going to be blamed?

Anyway, a so called 'burden of support' is someting I've never experienced on any non-commercial peer group forum. You either participate in a discussion or not, it's a free world.

Subsequent posts were from people interested in possibly doing the same thing.

As for point #2, I hope you don't get any support DMs.

Reactions: Arjan P

I suggested an interface that could do what the OP is suggesting. Maybe that's where the confusion started. I think it was more that he wanted to use what he already had though.

For the record...The Behringer UMC404HD has direct monitoring and can be powered by DC. I may do some comparison testing just for fun.

If I do, I will let you know the results.

FP

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online

No members online now.