Adding tracks to a master

Bill Fisher

Gear owned
DP24-SD
I have recorded a song and mastered it, but would like to add more tracks.
Can this be done? I cannot seem to find out how.

On a DP24-SD.

Thanks
Bill

You can't add more tracks to the mix/master file without overwriting it so I think there are 3 options.
1. Go back to multi-track mode and remix the original tracks with the new ones; none of the track files are overwritten during the mix or master phases.
2. If you've only mastered once, the previous mixdown will be in the back-up mix/master file. It's the 'z' file which is often mentioned in this forum and is used if you 'undo' the mastering process. There's no point undoing as you still can't add anything to it in Mastering mode. But you can use a computer to copy it from the song folder into the AudioDepot folder and import it to a spare track. You can then mix it with the new tracks and master as reqd.
3. If you've lost the mixdown file, you could copy the mastered file (the one without the 'z') into AudioDepot as with option 2. It might not sound so good as you'll effectively be mastering the original tracks twice, but might be ok if that's all you've got.

The only further processing that I like to sometimes perform after mixdown and mastering mode, is sometimes I like to do another copy of my songs with a fade towards the end of the song; and like pretty much every other task, I do so by just bouncing my tracks until I have only one final, completed track remaining in track mode before entering into mixdown mode. It's my technique for recording with these systems. In order to do that with an already mastered song, can I just go into track mode, do another bounce with my fade, and then reenter into mixdown mode to do another mixdown? If so, since I'm attempting to avoid glitches, shall I just delete the z file and master file first using my computer prior to reprocesing my final bounce track in bounce mode and then running it through mixdown mode, etc., or is deleting the z file and master file first not necessary in order to perform this task?

When you press record in mixdown mode, the mix/master file is overwritten automatically if it already exists. Same with mastering mode. It also handles the 'z' backup file automatically so there's no need to involve a computer unless you want to preserve previous mixes, e.g. if you want to mix/master a large 'take' comprising multiple songs and don't want the hassle of splitting them up... you just specify the In/Out points for sub-song 1, do the mixdown (and master if reqd), copy the file out, change the In/Out to sub-song 2, mix/master, copy out, etc.

Reactions: EeMm
If I want to do another take then, such as a fade or adding an effect to my final bounced track, then I'm gathering that all I must do is first save the originally created mixed/mastered wav file onto my computer, then return to the machine in multitrack mode, perform my preferred task, and then enter into mixdown/master mode, so that I can perform my mixdown, which will overwrite the previous z file and standard wav file. That is really easy kool!

Load the song
Be in MULTI-TRACK mode
Record your new track on an open track
Remix
Remaster

EeMm - correct... although I'm curious why you do the final mix as a bounce instead of a mixdown, and also why you don't do your fading at that time. There are restrictions on what controls you can twiddle in realtime during bouncing as opposed to mixdown. Tutorial videos 9 & 10 show the differences.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.