After Many Years Back on a Tascam Forum

Cosmic

Gear owned
Tascam 2488
Hello (again)

Cosmic here; I was a member on the original Tascam forum and it was both fun and educational. I am glad to see a new site has come through the choppy waters of dead domains and that some familiar faces are here as well.

I am using my first-gen. 2488, now augmented with outboard gear, but I am still in the same walk-in closet I recorded in back when.

Greetings to all, I look forward to the interaction.

Cosmic.

Reactions: DJ X
What kind of outboard gear are you incorporating into your set up? I'm curious as I'm currently setting up my dp 32

Hi Blaq,

I am finishing wiring these days; I have a 4-pack of Sytek pre-amps (one rack unit) and I recently got an HHB Radius 20 tube eq and its partner, the HHB Radius 30 tube compressor (both stereo.) I got them used and they are well worth looking for.

The way they are run is: L channel/R channel out of Effects 1/2 on the 2488, then into l/r on equalizer
then l/r out of equalizer into compressor
then l/r from compressor back to inputs g/h on the 2488

I don't mind the "bucket brigade" of eq to compressor as I can bypass one or the other on the front. Works for my purposes as I wanted to keep both boxes in stereo.

The Syteks go straight into inputs A/B/C/D on the Tascam, using the TRS connectors to get line in on the recorder and bypass the built-in pres as much as possible.

Now I am just waiting for an XLR patch panel so I can have easy access to the preamp ins without groping around in the back, as well as a 2-rack unit, 3-fan cooling unit from ProCool to keep the tube units happy :)

The whole shebang is being incorporated into a (purchased) 16-rack-unit wooden rack on casters, the 2488 on top. Works quite well when you have next to no space.

I'll post some pics when the last gear arrives and is in place.

Write back on your progress and how you will do yours.

Best,
C.

Last edited:
I'm currently using an Roland MV8000 and Fantom S along with a Kurzwiel K2000r. I'm not sure how I will be routing my pres and comps. I purchased a patchbay that I have yet to unbox as I am moving at the end of the month. Before I bought the DP32, my MV was the center of my rig (everything into my mixer then to the MV) So now I'm trying to wrap my head around how I plan on moving forward.

Reactions: Cosmic

New threads

Members online