Analog Connections Mic/Line

BigEasy504

Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200
In the analog input section I'm recording vocals on channel 1. You can hear echo through the headphones while the vocalist is singing. Using XLR connections and a Perception 220 Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic with the Attenuation pad set at 0. You don't hear the echo in the recording on playback in Pro Tools 10. The echo is present only in the headphones on channels 1-4. My phantom switch is on and the switch above the trim knob is set all the way to the left which is zero. I move to the next section of the analog input section 5-8 and the echo is not present. So I have been setting my inputs in Pro Tools at 5 and all is good so it won't be present in the headphones. On the first analog section 1-4 could the phantom switch be going bad or is something set wrong that is introducing echo in the headphones, again it is not coming out into the recording.

Hi BigEasy - I'm going to assume that what you are experiencing when you say 'echo' is an artifact of latency (a time discrepancy between the actual source signal and the output) rather than digital reverb, etc. As such, it is unlikely that the echo you are experiencing is related to phantom power, attenuation, trim, etc. If anything, your computer is the most likely source of the echo.

I run Logic Pro 9 using a dedicated mac mini server, with a DM4800. I have experienced these echoes as yo've described it: occurs in some channels, but not all; is a problem in the headphones, but records cleanly (albeit off-time). In almost every instance, latency was caused by the plugins I was running in Logic while tracking.

In some instances, disabling the plugins was enough to get rid of the latency. In others, it worked by restarting my mac mini server and the DM4800.

This is a reasonable starting point for troubleshooting, as it could be a quick fix.

If demon-beats is right, then simply switching off monitoring in your DAW should fix it right away. Just monitor from the desk only, unless you really need real-time plugin monitoring..

Actually no plug in are in use, as this is happens during mic check etc How would I switch off the monitoring in the DAW

Last edited:
@BigEasy504 This perhaps:

In Logic's audio preferences, make sure "Software Monitoring" is disabled. Or

Turn on input monitoring for an audio track
  • Click the Input Monitoring button (with the “I” icon) in the track header.

Click the Input Monitoring button again to turn off input monitoring for the track.

Reactions: demon_beats
@demon_beats For give me for responding so late in reference to this problem. I've had computer issues I needed to resolve and also life issues that needed my attention so please forgive me.

In Pro Tools 10 it's either the track menu "Auto Input Monitoring" or Alt K so turning off/on I still hear the echoes. In your post you stated my computer is most likely the source, can you further explain this please.

If your hearing echos, its because your hearing monitoring from the DM AND PT simultaneously. Disable monitoring for the track in PT if you want to hear the signal from the mixer or don't send the signal to the DM's stereo buss if you want to monitor the signal through PT. How you do that in PT, I have no idea as I am a Cubase user.

Been working a lot so this weekend I will update and advise
Thanks!

Hi there. Hitting the mute button on the protools input track you are recording to so you are only listening to the signal from the DM has always been the common workaround. Otherwise you are hearing the latency coming back from your DAW..

Reactions: Arjan P and cmaffia

New threads

Members online