Another Cascade question

rtteter

Gear owned
DM4800
have 4800's up and running in Cascade mode and it's supes cool.

My question is about the "Aux sharing." I think what that means is that both consoles are sending their channels to my original 12 aux channel sends I set up on the master.

What I had hoped more than anything was to gain 12 more aux channels with the second console. (Lots of outboard gear I use as sends on the aux layer...among sending 6 different headphone mixes out via my snake returns into the control room.)

Seems like I don't get to gain 12 more aux channels in cascade mode. Am I right? Is there a work around?

Anyone know? So little info out there re cascade mode. Manual gives very little insight. I'd love to touch base with someone who's been using cascade long enough to have some tips and tricks. Especially in how they handle audio routing between the two consoles. I'm planning to connect the two with 3 tdif cables when they get here. (for routing channels from the slave into the FW card in the master - and routing outputs from logic to the slave channels.)

Not many people here using 2 cascaded mixers AFAIK. cmaffia is doing so, I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough.

Sorry getting to this late. When you cascade it doesn't double your aux's or busses. It more like shares them. When using the M/L inputs on the slave, you buss the channel and it will send the signal to buss 1-16 on the master. To record to your DAW you have to output BUSS/DIR from the fire-wire. When you use the Aux it sends signal to master as well like it is one console. What's cool is when you use the Aux sends with the DM internal effects, you can use all 4 effects engines simultaneously. This allows you to blend 2 different effects with one Aux send. Through the busses and routing page you can pass signal to/from the expansion cards. I do this with my 5.1 Surround sound setup. I use the outputs on the analog expansion card installed in the slave to send audio to each speaker. Hope that made sense.

Other highlights from the manual addendum:

• STEREO buss, BUSS 1-16, AUX buss 1-8, and SOLO buss can be shared when the sharing function is set to ON in the CASCADE screen.
• The audio clock is shared by the two units.
• Timecode is shared to synchronize the two units

Settings that can be interlocked:
Layer status
Flip mode
Encoder mode
Surround mode Surround 5.1 rear MONO
DIGITAL>CASCADE screen setup (except for ID setting)
OPTION>SETUP screen setup (except for FADER SENSITIVITY)
OPTION>PREFERENCE screen setup
OPTION>SOLO screen setup (except for INPLACE SOLO DEFEAT setup)
OPTION>ENCODER MODE screen setup
METER/FADER>METER screen setup
SNAPSHOT RECALL SAFE setup on the LIBRARY SNAPSHOT screen
AUTO SETUP screen setup
Key setup in the AUTOMATION section (WRITE, TRIM, ALL SAFE, REHEARSE, INITIAL EDIT)

Operations that can be interlocked:
Snapshot related operations:
Recall
Store
Delete

Automation key operations:
TOUCH key
KEEP key
REVERT key
INITIAL EDIT DISCARD key
AUTO FADE key

Reactions: Peter Batah
I have two cascaded DM4800's and if you unshare the auxes in the cascade screen on either machine you can set up separate auxes. I can have up to 24 auxes with my 2 DM4800's. Amazing really..

Absolutely right. I forgot about that!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.