Another live event

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Hey,
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice on recording my first event. It went very well.

HOWEVER! During that event I was approached by a band teacher from a middle school in Olympia, Washington who has a battle of bands between other middle schools this Thursday and Friday. Of course he asked me to record the event. It's an orchestra competition, and yes I agreed to help him. It's in an auditorium do acoustics should be fine. I have four condenser mic's, and two Shure 58, and audix dynamic, an mxl 70, and a pre sounds co7. I have access to more.

Since the DP24 has only the 8 inputs I was wondering if #1 if I could connect my mixer to the 24 for a couple more XLR inputs, #2 if the answer is yes to #1 was yes then how specifically do I connect my behringer x1204 USB to the 24. I am again donating my time, services, and the client understands I'm a newbie. Oh yeah! I'm also going to run a couple mics into two interfaces on two laptops with different DAWs to see how effective that might be. I have two day to learn this timre. Any way thanks so much to everyone.

Reactions: DJ X
Bravo, anything you bring in on a mixer will be...., well, mixed together, so just remember you can't go back and separate things. Submixing the drums is a good idea, and then you can bring them in on a stereo pair, for example.

Glad that the first gig went well!

Hey Bravo - glad the first session went well.

After a quick glance - it looks as though you can connect the XLR outputs of the Behringer Xenyx X1204USB directly to any two inputs of your choosing on the DP. It looks like you have the option of using the "Alt 3-4" 1/4 outs to connect to the DP as well.

I've never done anything like what your attempting - so my advice should be taken with caution. But yu may want to consider the approach of using your condenser mics to capture the big picture - and using your dynamics for more close (or closer) mic'ing of specific instruments or instrument clusters.

Reactions: -mjk-
Can't beat being thrown in at the deep end Bravo - you may even get more requests at this event :)
My only comment re. connecting an external mixer is to make sure you only use the 1/4" jack inputs on the dp24 for this. The Behringer XLR outputs will be at line-level so if you use an XLR-to-XLR cable, you'll risk overloading the dp24 - its XLR inputs are intended for mics. David mentioned the 1/4" outputs, so a TRS-to-TRS cable may be more convenient to avoid having to get an XLR-to-TRS cable.
Also set the input trims to 1 o'clock (unity gain position), and control the signal level from the X1204 end... only move the trims if you can't tame the levels from the X1204.

Thanks everyone,
Today was first day of new event, and I decided to keep it simple and not use the mixer. Just condenser mikes placed strategically. Even simple turned into an issue with SD card. I just posted an Uh Oh Thread a few minuted ago, and would appreciate everyone's critiquing my procedure. The first part of the morning I felt like Maxwell Smart of Get Smart fame. Trying to appear smarter than I really am, and I was this this close ha ha! The 2nd half turned out well, and I have 27 more middle school bands to record tomorrow. I am actually pre loading template, creating, and naming the files tonight for easier flow. I hope that was a good decision..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.