Anyone get their Tascam USB 16x8 to work with Windows 10?

LaMa

Hello everyone,
Had the Tascam for a couple of months now and had no problems with it running windows 8.1. i recently updated to Windows 10 and now the device is not
recognized by windows. In Device manager i get an error code 31 which is "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

Any solutions?

Any word on a windows 10 driver release?

I have emailed support several times over the last week and haven't gotten a response.

Reactions: hewstigator
same problem, everything was working fine in windows 7, driver won't load in windows 10. i've tried deleting the drivers, reinstalling, trying the earlier driver, no luck. strangely, the MIDI driver seems to load ok. hope they can at least get us an ETA for a fix because i need to know whether to re-install windows 7 to complete some upcoming projects, sigh...

If you have upcoming projects, I'd recommend going back to the last known-good version of Windows. I don't use a Windows machine, but my friends who do are not all that excited about 10 anyway.

i was interested in windows 10 because of the supposed improvements to audio path latency...

http://pcaudiolabs.com/windows-10-for-pro-audio/

http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-10-music-production/

the actual latency measurements in the pcaudiolabs article are performed using WDM instead of ASIO so they might have limited application to the most of us who are using ASIO drivers, but the improvements to DPC handling should make low latency ASIO recording a bit more reliable too methinks...? not that any of this helps if there are no windows 10 drivers hah.

i didn't get my interface too long ago so i could potentially even just return it just to save myself the hours/hair pulling of reloading an old image of my OS drive, but i actually did enjoy its operation up until now.... be nice to know if a driver update was around the corner from tascam...?

I am especially interested in any developments on this WX+Tascam Drivers front. I personally cannot tell what is more absurd: the fact that Windows 10 lacks any native ASIO support, or that Tascam has failed to release a new driver for Day 1 of the WX launch.

I found this posted on their Facebook page about windows 10 support.

"TASCAM does not yet have an official statement on Windows 10 drivers, except to say that testing is ongoing. However, many of us would recommend that you do not upgrade to a new operating system on the first day it becomes available. If any of you have already updated, please let us know your results below. Whether it was successful or if "Something Happened.""

and

"We've had a few cases where we tested the "Gold Master" of an OS and everything worked. Then when the OS shipped to customers, suddenly there were bugs. So they do keep track of changes and do some testing while an OS is in development. But since it is subject to change until it ships, the formal QA test does not happen until the shipping version of the OS."

So it sounds to me like they aren't in to much of a rush to get their devices supported with windows 10. Im in the same boat with hewstigator where I got my device recently enough to probably return it and get something that is supported with windows 10 and with a company that might actually respond to an email. Any one have any suggestions for similar products to the USB 16x08?

I found this posted on their Facebook page about windows 10 support.

"TASCAM does not yet have an official statement on Windows 10 drivers, except to say that testing is ongoing. However, many of us would recommend that you do not upgrade to a new operating system on the first day it becomes available. If any of you have already updated, please let us know your results below. Whether it was successful or if "Something Happened.""
Here's the comment I left to the above post:

That's a cop-out, Tascam. Win10 has been in preview for the better part of a year. MS were very good this time. You have no excuse for not having drivers ready upon release. Still testing? You've had MONTHS! Shame on you.

So it sounds to me like they aren't in to much of a rush to get their devices supported with windows 10. Im in the same boat with hewstigator where I got my device recently enough to probably return it and get something that is supported with windows 10 and with a company that might actually respond to an email. Any one have any suggestions for similar products to the USB 16x08?

You can waste a lot of time and money chasing drivers. I know. I represent that remark.

I've gotten to Tascam and I'm going to stick with them, unless...

They punt on software development and move driver development back out-of-house to a subcontractor. Then I'll be gone in a heartbeat. Until then, consider the following (note: I used to train assessors for the precursor to the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, and that assessment contained a section on managing software development and rating the assessee against the SEI CMM):

Caveat: I have no direct inside knowledge of Tascam's current software development management process. The following are my comments based on what little public data exists and my own, admittedly less than humble, opinion.

1) I find Tascam's "un"official statement on Win10 support to be cavalier at best, bordering on arrogant. It makes the clear assumption the we, their customers, have little to no knowledge, experience or capability with computer tech. Condescending as hell. P'd me off.

2) I switched to Tascam from PreSonus due to a complete lack of support for their existing products and customers. They're great at new product releases, but try to get any kind of USEFUL response from them, much less a driver update? Good luck. I bought a relatively new product (an AudioBox VSL), but could never get the driver to play nicely in my Dell XPS8500. I now use it as a class compliant interface to the Audio Evolution Mobile DAW on my Android tablet. The hardware works fine; no driver needed.

3) I picked Tascam instead of Focusrite for several reasons, one of them being that Tascam had made some recent news about bringing their driver development back in-house for their new US-xxxx series. I was waiting on the US-4x4 to go on sale, when the US-16x08 went on a stupid sale and I picked it up for a great price. Excellent hardware. Great pres. Clever design option to default it to an 8-mic pre when not connected to a PC. Very happy with the h/w.

4) Learning how to manage software development (both down (coding) and up (financing and resources)) is not easy, and is VERY different from managing a hardware development roadmap. I'm willing to cut Tascam a bit of slack while they're learning. As long as they're learning.

5) I could roll back to Win7, but I'm not going to. I skipped Vista. I skipped Win8.x. I updated to Win10 very first thing the first morning, knowing that there would be issues. But I have backup capability. I can record into my Android DAW and transfer the stems to SONAR.

6) I participate in a number of forums, and almost everybody is screaming. There wasn't much support for Win10 out of the gate w.r.t. audio interface drivers. And I wouldn't recommend picking an i/f SOLELY because they (claim to) have a Win10 driver.

This situation is really irritating. A formal company response of some kind on this forum would be a nice step in the right direction of engaging their customers, but for the moment, I'm going to trust that their software engineers are hard at work making things right. I'm also going to hope that their management team learns that properly engaging with their customers in situations like this is good FOR THEM.

I've been elsewhere, and the grass is no greener.

for me the next step up would have been the focusrite scarlett series (which works windows 10 with beta drivers), but i opted to save a little and go for the tascam which i was pretty happy with (immediately tracking drums for 10 songs without a hitch) with a wide variety of expensive and cheap mics.... sigh!

Last edited:
If the Code 31 error means that there is a lack of an ASIO kernel, is there a way to install that in WX? Would that theoretically fix the problem?

There's another thread around here that indicates that Windows 10 will install the legacy drivers from the Device Manager.

I just tried it, and I still got an error code 31. That being said, can you provide the link to that thread? Thank you.

Just one post, really. (I use a Mac, so I don't know if you've already done this, but I noticed it and thought of this thread... even though he's talking about a different Tascam interface, it may help.) Buzz sez:

"I have a US-122 that I installed on a Win 10 computer. When you are ready to load the drivers for your equipment, right click on the installer and choose compatibility ... Win 10 will suggest what mode to use. My equipment was Win 7 mode. It was that simple ... the equipment works as expected. HTH

Buzz"

It sounds like this gets Windows to install the legacy drivers.

This seems like a particularly old device, and I'm curious how it is intended to be used. The US 16x08 seems to be very much intended for ASIO mode, so the error code 31 issue seems to be oriented around the fact that WX just doesn't support it.

This is the XML for the errors that I'm receiving on my end:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date: 8/4/2015 10:33:47 PM
Event ID: 441
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Paco-PC
Description:
Device USB\VID_0644&PID_8047&MI_00\6&27b844ce&2&0000 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_045E&PID_076D&MI_00\6&25D503B7&0&0000
Class Guid: {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
Location Path: PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1202)#USBROOT(0)#USB(1)#USBMI(0)
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFF0023
Present: false
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
<EventID>441</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-05T02:33:47.654637500Z" />
<EventRecordID>603</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="912" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel>
<Computer>Paco-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">USB\VID_0644&amp;PID_8047&amp;MI_00\6&amp;27b844ce&amp;2&amp;0000</Data>
<Data Name="LastDeviceInstanceId">USB\VID_045E&amp;PID_076D&amp;MI_00\6&amp;25D503B7&amp;0&amp;0000</Data>
<Data Name="ClassGuid">{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}</Data>
<Data Name="LocationPath">PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1202)#USBROOT(0)#USB(1)#USBMI(0)</Data>
<Data Name="MigrationRank">0xf000ffffffff0023</Data>
<Data Name="Present">false</Data>
<Data Name="Status">0xc0000719</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I just got my operating system upgrade recently and I like it, but it doesn't like my interface. Does anyone know if Tascam is working on new drivers? I can wait for a while if they are, but otherwise I am going to have to downgrade my recording PC to Windows 7.

I'm putting my iron in this fire. I just got my 16x08 in June and have made a handful of successful recordings with it. I would like to be able to resume operations with the new OS. Surely someone at Tascam is working on this, as it appears to be a relatively new interface.

I wouldn't rush into the new W10 without more info on drivers really coming along. Especially in the Audio and MIDI areas this OS is not fully developed yet; even Steinberg advises to not upgrade Cubase and Nuendo.

Reactions: williew705
I think my temporary solution will be to partition my hard drive and run Ubuntu on one of them. I have used the 16x08 with Ubuntu before and while it was difficult to get the system to recognize it, eventually it did. This way I can keep the OS and still use my interface.

What could you run in Ubuntu aside from Ardour? Reaper can run with Wine, but I imagine that there'd be latency issues.

New threads

Members online