Anyone using a MOTU 2408 mk3 to convert ADAT to TDIF?

wm_b

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
I've been using one in stand alone mode for awhile to do just that but I can only use one bank. The ADAT input on bank 1 is sent to TDIF out on all 3 banks. Is there a way to have it convert more than one bank? My ADAT port on my DM3200 is failing and I'm researching options. I'd love to use what I have on hand to solve it.

I use a Mk i to do it. Do you have the motu pcie card? If so, just set up the routing in cue mix.

Last edited:
I'm using mine in standalone mode just for format conversion from adat to tdif. I don't have a card in my computer for it.

My problem is that adat in on bank 1 repeats to tdif out on bank 2 and 3 also.

Yes, 96k.

If I set the source to ADAT BANK A B C it shows exactly what I would expect to see: ADAT A shows up on the MOTU display as output on TDIF A, ADAT B shows up on TDIF B and everything should work. However, the DM3200 gets zilch on TDIF inputs. If I change the MOTU to ADAT A only then I get output across TDIF A and B (C also) but it's the same. I know my TDIF connections are good but something is amiss in the MOTU, I think.

I am stumped but curious. So you go in SMUX on two ADAT banks and then output to two TDIF banks? (I have no experience with the 96k situation)

And you are 100% sure all clocking issues are resolved?

>> If I change the MOTU to ADAT A only then I get output across TDIF A and B (C also) but it's the same.

Is that also true if you make B the single source?
If not, have you tried using C instead of B?

>>Is that also true if you make B the single source?
If not, have you tried using C instead of B?

The same if I make B the source - B on all TDIF outputs.

I haven't tried C but I can't imagine how it would be any different.

Just to confirm other points, yes SMUX going in.

It's truly weird. I personally think they goofed up. It would be a pain to test at 48 but I wonder if they biffed on the high sample rates.

I also tried it at 48k and that doesn't work either. I think that feature is broken. The 2408 manual says it should work but it doesn't. Sometimes I just don't want to know these kinds of things. I wonder how many things I have that don't work as advertised.

No matter what sample rate, clocking issues can cause seemingly inexplicable problems. What device(s) feeds ADAT signals to the 2408? If there are two separate devices, is only one the master clock? If so, is the other somehow also receiving clock signal from the master?

In other words, this won't be sufficient...

rect1567.png

To function properly, you will have to link Device B to Device A's clock. I don't know your setup and there might be a number of ways to do it, but it has to get the clock from the same master.

rect1568.png

If your A and B devices both have ADAT input as well as output, you can make the MOTU the master and run ADAT back to the units so they can get their clock sourced from the ADAT ports connected to the MOTU.

My system is clocked as such:

Apogee AD16X as master connected to:
Apogee AD16X sync via word, connected to:
Motu 2408 mk3 sync via word connected to:
Tascam DM 3200

All of this is via 75 ohm BNC cables. All the rack devices are connected with very short cables.

I can only assume that the system is clocked correctly because it works when there's only bank A, B, or C set as the input source. The problem occurs when I try to use the A+B+C as source settings.

I keep thinking about this and how to trouble shoot it... It certainly could be the MOTU, but how to test? Do you use the 2408 analog inputs for the TDIF C inputs?

No, in fact I've never used those inputs since I bought the thing. It's only ever been a digital device.

>>

Just to confirm other points, yes SMUX going in.

It's truly weird. I personally think they goofed up. It would be a pain to test at 48 but I wonder if they biffed on the high sample rates.

How many channels had you been trying to transfer, 8?

2x4 channel of S/Mux. In the past when I used it with the 424 card I had 16 in and 24 output channels of 48/24 audio running through it regularly.

Your bounce setting is 1-2 > 1-2? At this point I am really stumped. I looked into the manual and found very little info on the stand alone mode. Web searching didn't provide much insight either. I did run across your similar situation over at gearslutz. Hate it when stuff doesn't work as suspected.

>>>Your bounce setting is 1-2 > 1-2?

Yes, but I've tried all kinds of other bounce settings as well just to see what would happen.

The only thing I haven't tried is clocking everything from the motu but I just don't see the point of doing that. I'm not even sure that's an option in Standalone Mode. The Apogee and motu units are of the same generation and the Apogee clock was heralded as the best of the bunch by a large margin. In fact I rarely hear anyone talk about clocking much anymore. I don't know if the technology has widely improved or if it sort of peaked or not. Clocking used to be one of those esoteric obsessions.

MOTU internal clock is an option, but what a waste of the AD16x clock. Wonder if you could patch wordclock:

AD16x (out) -> (in) DM (out thru) -> (in) MOTU.

What gives me some sense of hope is that the display lights are functioning properly.

Currently I'm cabled via proximity to keep the shortest distance overall for the system. I don't even think I have another bnc cable long enough to make the trip to and from the mixer for that setup.

I've given up. I have a session on Monday and will need the whole rig up and running so I'm pulling out the DM 3200 and just biting the bullet.

In the last 6 months I've really become frustrated with how the means by which digital audio is packaged and delivered profoundly impacts accessibility. Since when has PCM audio become anything different than what it is? However it is held captive behind packaging formats. Everyone wants you in their box and no one wants to let you out.

Wm_b did you ever get this figure out? I'v been off the grid and just saw this. I have 5 2408's hooked up to my DM3200.

I believe what you were explaining with One Bank showing up across all banks is normally how the 2408 works when setup to only use One Bank. And yes when all three banks are being used then A B and C are independent from each other.

If this is a nuisance you can then configure the DM 3200 to not use TDIF for the banks that you do not wish to receive when needing only 1 bank. You will have to switch back when you want to use all three TDIF at the same time.

I no longer have to do this because I have an independent 2408 for every TDIF and Optical of my DM3200. This allows me to use all other connections on the 2408s to Route into the DM 3200 on 5 banks. That's 48 channels or 6 banks if you perfer for each 2408 that route into every TDIF or Adat of my DM3200.

I know this sounds like an awful lot to handle and very weird. But it has made my life easier. All I have to do is change the settings on the 2408 and the mixer accordingly. Everything is already pre-wired for the most part. I do use almost all in the connections available in each 2408. the other benefit is that they are spaced out through a couple of rooms this allows cable length to equipment to be shorter. Then it's either a TDIF or Adat cable that buses to the mixer.

Last edited:
"And yes when all three banks are being used then A B and C are independent from each other."
I was never able to get this type of functionality at all. Maybe I have a slightly defective 2408.

I completely abandoned that setup and have reached a new zenith of performance and configuration for my studio. I removed the 3200 and the desk it was installed in and replaced it with a DM 4800 with AES cards. My Apogee I/O now connects to those two cards for 16 in and out. The Apogee DA 16x drives a Behringer PM16 monitor system that has been a massive hit with my clients and has seriously changed my workflow for the better. I can freely work on a mix during tracking sessions without worrying about totally distracting the band by changing up their cuemixes. I've also completely cleaned up my cabling and the entire thing is much more streamlined. I could pull the whole rig out and go do a remote session in about an hour, maybe less.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.