Apple Studio with DM3200/IF/FW-DM mkII

fclum

From
Bronxville, NY
Gear owned
DM-3200, IF-FWDM MKII
I’ve been a DM series mixer user for a long time now. First with a DM24 and currently with a DM3200 with FireWire card. I love using it and it’s an integral part of my workflow.

Lately I’ve been eying the new Apple Studio CPU which I understand to be described as “overkill” for using Logic Pro. The only thing holding me back from getting one has been the DM3200. Has anyone found a way to use the IF/FW-DM mK II with one of these computers? The computer seems very attractive to me but I don’t want to lose the DM3200 for a few reasons:

A. I like it and I use it very well.
B. I don’t really want to learn a new system so much at this point in life
C. I really don’t want to spend the amount of money it will take to replace it.

My assumption is that it won’t work but I was wondering if anyone had any experience trying it.

thanks,
Frank Clum

Hi Frank,

You definitely have options! There are people here on the forums who have gotten the FireWire driver working on Monterey Mac OS, but I haven’t seen anyone post about the new Studio models yet. However, even if you don’t use the FireWire card w a new Mac, u can still move to a new Studio mac w Logic setup, and can either keep the old Mac dedicated to the FireWire, or using the 3200 remote layer as the USB control surface for the Mac Studio, mixing audio coming into the mixer digitally thru other means if needed (RME, MOTU, Presonus, Behringer, etc.). I use both at once in my setup, with older Intel Macs - I have a 2011 running the DM FireWire, DMoteControl and Companion apps and other Macs with MOTU interfaces feeding optical ADAT, AES-EBU and TDIF to the DM.

Having the channels of FireWire all there in the board from one card is super handy for sure, but the board still shines if u need to use the Digital returns on the other slots and TDIF, etc instead. Browse around the forums for instructions on the software side, and we will probably start seeing folks posting their experiences w the new machines as they become more widely used.

good luck and don’t give up your board and workflow unless u find one u like better :)

Lately I’ve been eying the new Apple Studio CPU which I understand to be described as “overkill” for using Logic Pro. The only thing holding me back from getting one has been the DM3200.
So the new computer seems overkill and you effectively want to keep your current workflow. I don't see you mention a reason to actually change to the new computer. You already have two (or three) reasons against it, but what is a reason in favour? If it ain't broke... you know..

Reactions: mixerizer

New threads

Staff online

Members online