Audio depot / export file too big ?...but my card is new

Bobbydebarbes

Gear owned
Tascam DP24
Hi guys,

I have an issue today.
I own a DP24, and i've always used a Sandisk extreme 32 GB 90 MB/s in the past and everything usually works perfectly.
Right now my card is new, i only recorded one small track and remaining size is 28Gb/ 29,7 GB capacity.

The problem is when i want to export tracks in the audio-depot folder, i only have a capacity of 30 Mb !! so i get the message "export file too big" ! how that can be possible ? i have plenty of space on the card....

Please help if you know what happens.

thank you

Hi Bobby, where/when did it tell you there was "only a capacity of 30Mb"? And when you say "right now my card is new", does that mean it's a brand new unused card, or is it the one which has worked perfectly in the past? If it's brand new, it could be a fake.

Last edited:
When i say it's new, i mean, i have it since 1 month only and i have recorded few things on it without problem.

The "only a capacity of 30Mb" message can be seen in the audio depot folder, when i select "export". There if i choose 2 tracks to export, i get the message, so i must export track 1 by 1 which is a waste of time.

Thank you Phil

Well, if the Menu,Information screen shows there's plenty of space, we can eliminate spurious files on the card, such as old exported tracks being left in AudioDepot. The info screen should also show how much space the current song is using, so I'm guessing that will agree with your 'one small track', otherwise the Delete Unused function will clear out old takes etc.
So I can only think the card is faulty, incompatible or a fake. Fake cards can trick devices into thinking they have more capacity than they contain, so first thing I would do is to use a computer to check. Either try writing a large file to it, or (better) use a test utility such as h2testw. If it passes the computer test, check out the other posts re. compatible cards .
Let us know if you find anything.

If you can do them 1 by 1, then clearly there is room on the card. Weird.

Thanks guys.
yes weird ...

Do you think FORMATING the card could be a solution ?

If the music folder is saved on my computer, i'll be able to retransfer it on the SD card and continue my process of recording ?

Reactions: -mjk-
Always do a full format on any SD card before using it in the DP machine!

Yes. Copy that and you can put it back later.

yes, i had made that before using it.

I'll do it again tonight and if the result is the same, i'll buy a new card.

I keep you posted, thanks again ;)

Yes please, keep us updated. It helps the knowledge base when we know what happened, and the fix. Thanks.

Reactions: David Porter
SO...
I made a full format of the card
transfer the music folder saved on my PC to my DP24
check the audio depot/export spot and...
still the same issue : only 30,3Mb capacity !

very strange.

i am going to buy a new sd card right now

Fake card, unfortunately....

Bobbydebarbes, I hate to ask a really dumb question, but are you referring to this?

20190408_141900.jpg

(My SD card is 32gb, above shows 15 gb free, export files total 26 mb)

I just exported a 500 mb song with no problem.

"File Error" is usually a read or write issue with the SD card.

So, here's hoping it's just a bad card.

When you get the new card:
Format it in the DP-24, not the computer.
Create a completely new, short test song; do not copy anything over from your computer.
Try the Audio Depot export with the new song.

If no problems:
Use the USB port to copy your song from the computer to the new SD card.
Repeat Audio Depot export of your song.

Last edited:
i tried with an old sd card where there was still some space and there was no problem to export big files so the problem must comes from the card

Bobbydebarbes, I hate to ask a really dumb question, but are you referring to this?

YES EXACTLY

Create a completely new, short test song; do not copy anything over from your computer.

If no problems:
Repeat Audio Depot export of your song.

WILL DO WHEN I RECEIVE IT. Thank you !

Have you considered, checking how this new card has been formatted?
Newest cards seem to be ExFat, which your machine may not like.
Not sure if it should be Fat32, or Ntfs.
But you can check in your computer how the working card, has been formatted.
Hope this helps you.

Jeffoldbean.

If no problems:
Repeat Audio Depot export of your song.[/QUOTE]

____
Hello,
I am back...
So i got my new sdcard sandisk extrem pro today.
- I formated the card in the DP
- created short song
- exported it through audio depot

OK

then

- copied from the computer through USB to the new sd card : OK
- tried to export the song with audio depot and THEN : SAME ISSUE than with the OLD card !!! only 21,5 MB free...

It's like if the problem was in one or several songs of the music folder i imported back in the DP24....so i tried to erase some of the songs to check if the problem was still there and finally yes, i got back 1,4 GB space in the audio depot folder.

very weird.

right now, i have enough space (by the way what would be the maximum allowed space available in the audio depot folder ?) but there is a bug somewhere and i don't know what it is.

thanks for reading

Attachments

• tascam sd card fail.jpg
    tascam sd card fail.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 8
i have a bad feeling because the issue is now the same on my old card (previously formated). The free space in the "audio depot " folder is not the same that the free space displayed in the "information screen"...
Is it a problem with the DP24 and not the card ? should i update the firmware (how) ?
:(:(:(:(

SO FINALLY EVERYTHING CAME BACK TO NORMAL thanks to a firmware upgrade from V1.12 to V1.16 !
I really don't know why and what happened, but know the free space in the "depot folder" is the same than the free space in the "information screen", like before ;-)

I feel much better know, hope things will stay fine now.

Thanks for your help guys.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.