Bass Guitar Effects

SimonPD

From
London UK
Hi all,

Apologies if this subject has already been answered - I've tried searching across the Internet and various threads here but am getting an API error message when using this forum's search function.

My primary instrument is bass guitar. Regarding the guitar amp simulation on the DP-24's effects side, does anyone know if any element of these settings is specific to bass-guitar amp simulation?

I've experienced quite a difference in sound in the past when trying to record bass-guitar through a dedicated 6-string-guitar-amp sim (the original Line 6 Pod springs to mind). Those nagging tonal distinctions that would be evident in the "real-world" are very much there in the sim one meaning the only solution is to purchase a dedicated bass-guitar sim.

I'm yet to purchase a DP-24. The bass-guitar sim (or lack thereof if this is the case) wouldn't be a deal-breaker; it'd just be good to know in advance.

Cheers

The forum search function returns two tabs. The left most default tab "google results" often produces an error message. If you ignore that message and click on the right tab ("site results") you will see the search results for the forum.

The amp simulator in the DP-xx is very generic and limited to various combinations of speakers and sizes, and gain, tone, reverb, master controls.

Reactions: Dunny and SimonPD
The guitar effects are very generic, more aimed at normal guitars than bass guitars. But even then, the quality of these is really borderline. I recommend you using effects pedals instead. I use two for my split guitar signal. Other than that I can recommend the dp24/32sd. It’s an excellent device.

Yep. I concur.

The guitar effects in the DP-24/32(SD) are really tailored for a regular 6 string electric guitar. And they're not even that good, IMO.

If I had nothing else as far as external gear - I would plug the bass directly into the DP. Perhaps add some compression and/or EQ at the input stage.

I recommend some sort of DI box or bass preamp. There are lots of options. I used an inexpensive Behringer DI box for years before recently upgrading to a Warm Audio TB12.

You can use input H and turn on the guitar switch next to it. With that you can connect the bass guitar directly into the Tascam. No need for a di box. You actually get a pretty decent signal with just that. You can further process with the input or track eq’s (the latter is preferred) and use the build in dynamic effects’ compressor.

Reactions: SimonPD
Thank guys for all the quick and informative responses.

The question of whether or not the DP's internal effects can be bass guitar specific seems pretty much answered - they appear to be geared towards 6-string guitar.

Thinking out loud - an additional method for processing the recorded bass track I may look at would be to transfer the WAV file into Logic Pro X, render one of Logic's amp sims into the file then re-import to the DP.

I was actually very impressed with Logic's bass amp sims but latency and just general faff with DAWs has finally dragged me back into the hardware world. Can't wait to get my hands on some proper faders again!

Hey BikderDude,

Cheers for the heads up. Yesterday I splashed out on a DP-24. Been messing with it today and have two words for it - Bloody Brilliant!

Re bass sounds, there's a couple of things I think are probably worth a try;

1. Use my existing Boss BR-532 as a DI/Amp modeller (there's a couple of bass sounds in there I really like)
2. Import/Export the dry bass WAV file between the DP-24 and Logic (bit faffy - and without a decent bass tone while recording the take I find it tends to alter the performance quite a bit)
3. Buy a standalone DI amp modeller/box - probably a cheapo one for starters and see how I get along with it

Lots of options!

I'd just go with the Boss modeler and direct in it through a board or preamp.
Bass sounds great direct in through a board.
I suppose you could go direct to the 24.
I generally go through a board or preamp. Not sure why.
Preference I guess.

Reactions: SimonPD
I use some of my old Boss recording units in the same way SimonPD, some of the guitar users, are ok and will do the job , and i presume you can get a great sound with loads of bottom onto your bass , with a little bit of tinkering around , i have a Tascam 24 and think the same as you "bloody brilliant"

Paul

Hi Paul,

I think in the interim running the bass through the Boss is definitely the way I'll go. Out of interest, how are you feeding the signal from your Boss into the DP? Looking at the back of my BR-532 unit I'm only seeing Stereo Line out so am reckoning it's going to need to be RCA down to 1/4inch mono adaptor? Been a while since I've had to think about such things :)

Cheers,
Simon

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunny
Hi Simon all i do is use the headphone socket at the front of the Boss BR800 , with an adaptor so i can use a normal guitar lead , i then go directly into an input at the back of the tascam , but dont use the guitar dedicated H input, because the signal into the Tascam is already processed buy the Boss gear , it records it perfect . There may be , are should i say , there probably is a more clinical way to go about the signal , but at the moment it works for me .hope this helps

Paul

New threads

Members online