Boot up help, New Hard Disk

Yomomusic1

Gear owned
Tasca SX-1 LE
Hi, I've had my Tascam Sx-1 LE since May, 2011. I bought it off of Craigslist for $900. I knew nothing about the machine, but something told me to buy it. Anyways when I bought it everything worked, also the person who sold it to me pulled up a few plug-ins and played some stereo audio files he had saved on the hard drive......One time the motherboard burned-out, and I was able to get it fixed by CTG in Atlanta, but I still wasn't able to use it because I didn't have a APC power conditioner. So I bought one and it worked, but I still wasn't able to use the machine because life got in the way. I have moved this machine several times and I read that it is very sensitive to being moved and should leave it still. Everytime I moved it so far, everything booted up nicely......******NOW HERE'S MY PROBLEM********, during my last move I tried to turn the SX on, but it read something about a hard disk error, (also this was first time I hooked up a monitor to it), so I thought the disk was done. I bought a new one, 500gb with an IDE adapter to SATA, because I can't find an old hard disk anywhere with an IDE. Now the machine comes on, the faders go through their spill and the screen says "BOOT FAILURE, REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE..PRESS ANY KEY WHEN READY"......This was expected to some degree because I know the new hard disk is not formatted, so I pressed "SHIFT, CANCEL, AND THEN SHUTDOWN, WITH THE BOOT-UP SX-1 LE BOOT UP DISC"....the word "REBOOT" came on followed by a "DO'NT" in the SMPTE digital red numbers. Now the SX-1 started booting from the cd-rom, and it came to a different screen that said "THIS INSTALLER IS ONLY MEANT TO BE RUN ON A VALID TASCAM SX-1 UNIT. IF YOU ARE SEEING THIS MESSAGE ON AN SX-1 UNIT, IT INDICATES THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SX-1's HARDWARE. INSTALLATION WILL NOT BE ALLOWED." I press "OK"and come to a different screen that has four options "UPDATE EXISTING OPERATING SYSTEM....ERASE HDD AND INSTALL OPERATING SYSTEM...DIAGNOSTICS....EXIT"....From here I can only select "DIAGNOSTICS" and "EXIT"...HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS ...Is it the 500gb hard disk because I read somewhere that says the SX-1 will only read 120-160 GB...like some audio machines, I thought this wasn't a big deal, it only cost me $25 for the drive, so I can lose some GB's. Also do I have an SX-1 or an SX-1 LE? It says LE on the outside, but could the motherboard be from an SX-1 when I got it repaired? Is it the IDE to SATA adapter? How do I format the hard disk? Because it reads the HD, it just isn't formatted....I know this is long, but please any help would be great because I know this particular machine works. I have tons of plug-ins and I just want to use it for mixing and mastering purposes....Thank you!!

I've had similar "issues" with ALL of my SX's over the years...sometimes when I booted from the disc, there was only the option to select the "Diagnostics", "Exit" or "Erase HD" (which is not a good option if you have an HD with recorded material already)...and the only way I know to format the HD is with the boot up disc...maybe your disc isn't working properly (I've gone through quite a few of them)...also, your HD is too big (as you mentioned)...I have no idea why the option to "Upgrade Operating System" wouldn't come on because of that, but it may be your CD...
this is something strange that just happened to me with one of my "broken" SX units...I turned it on and booted it from the disc...I updated and it worked perfectly...this SX hasn't worked or even booted up for the past 6 months and now it works again! these machines are really quirky and I never know what to expect from them...there could be a variety of things that are creating your issue...the battery, re-seating the cards, the fans, the HD, the RAM sticks, the power supply and on and on and on...and then, the SX may all of a sudden just work without doing anything...
sorry I can't be more help...

Thanks for responding, I now have a 150gb hard and I also have an older IDE or SATA, which ever one is the original. I just haven't tried to hook it up yet, but I will this weekend and see how things go. Thanks again.

New threads

Members online