Both Firewire Inputs On The FW-1082

Suprawill1

Gear owned
Tascam FW-1082
Hi All,
I've got a question concerning the firewire inputs on the FW-1082. I realize that both cannot be used simultaneously but I have an idea that will keep me from having to swap the connectors back and forth from 2 computers.
First off, what I am attempting to do is plug both computers into both FW inputs. Secondly, I am going to use the integrated sound system on both computers, as I am thinking that this won't launch the FW driver. The only program I will attempt to assign the Tascam driver to will be Cubase. With that being said, I would only launch one instance of Cubase at a time. (on one computer) I'm thinking this may work if indeed, the FW driver will only be activated when I launch Cubase.
I would just go ahead and try it but I wanted to get the thoughts of those who may know better so that I don't end up possibly frying something in the attempt.
Thanks for your replies!

Will

Last edited:
Or you could use a firewire selector switcher, or a firewire matrix switcher. I've been thinking about doing this myself...to select using either my FW-1884, or my FW-1082 between two different computers.

Have yo even used the 2nd firewire port in your Tascam? I don't recall trying the 2nd port myself.

I've used both ports but only one at a time. I spoke to a Tascam rep a week ago and told me that it's not going to accommodate two 'putters simultaneously so my thoughts were to try one of those KVM switches for firewire. I think it's our only bet other than just manually switching the wires out.

But the question still remains... that if you have/leave 2 firewire cables connected to each port, one to each computer, on whether it will properly connect while both ports have cables inserted.

Of course you'd have to start with booting up everything in the proper order, meaning booting up only ONE computer. Booting up the 2nd computer while having a firewire cable in each computer, may result in possibly loosing the connection you had from the 1st computer (I'm not sure just a guess).

Having a firewire switcher would avoid this entirely. Just don't switch over while everything is turned on, I wouldn't take that chance. Besides, if you had the Tascam & both computers turned on, I'm pretty certain that the Tascam would not 'recognize & connect'... you'd likely need to reboot anyway.

I've already had both computers connected to both FW ports and as long as one computer is off, it's ok. The Tascam doesn't know there's 2 connections unless they are both sending data. If both are sending data, it confuses the Tascam and it won't work. Each protocol will be receiving 2 sets of commands and it won't know how to respond.
Having a FW KVM switch will work. Switching it while both computers are active is the equivalent of hot swapping and is not recommended. I've hot swapped often and you have a 50/50 chance of blue screening while inserting or removing a live connection.
What I have experimented with is plugging one computer in but having its sound routed through the MB integrated sound system instead of the Tascam thinking that it wouldn't be sending data through the FW but there is still some signal present. If there weren't, that would be an option to having both computers connected live at the same time. I would then just have my DAW routed through the Tascam driver. Doing this on both computers, I could theoretically activate the Tascam just by launching my DAW. If launched on one computer at a time, that would be equivalent to just hooking one of them up at a time but unfortunately, that doesn't pan out.

New threads

Members online