Bouncing To A Stereo (Sub-)Mix On A DP-008

Tobermory

From
UK
Gear owned
DP-008EX
I am not certain what Bouncing to two tracks produces on them? Or how I should use the result?

I change the Mode to Bounce. I press the [REC] buttons for two tracks, so that the indicators in the buttons flash. I set up the sub-mix of the existing Tracks and record the required section to the designated Tracks (in this instance Tracks 7 and 8).

It seems that I am only able to Export the result of the Bounce as to two, separate mono WAV files? And I am not sure what a stereo Bounce operation generates on the destination tracks. Should I pan the recordings on the tracks hard Left and Right, when using them in subsequent mixes?

Likely I just missed something in the Owner’s Manual, as I noted that it states “You can export the tracks that you want as 16-bit, 44.1kHz mono and stereo WAV files.” But I could only find information about how to Export a Master recording as a stereo file. So I would appreciate help.

Generally, bouncing creates a submix of the bounced tracks on the target track(s) for the bounce.

Bouncing is used to consolidate recorded tracks and free up those tracks for new material. If two tracks are the bounce target, panning the bounce tracks will create a stereo sound stage. In that case, the target bounce tracks need to be panned hard left/right.

The track(s) used as the target for a bounce operation is/are no different than tracks created when recording in multi-track mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobermory
And I am not sure what a stereo Bounce operation generates on the destination tracks.

Bouncing tracks is just mixing, but not the entire mix, just the tracks you select to be mixed together.

For example: If you cut 3 guitar tracks and wanted to blend them together (to save track space) you could bounce them onto 2 tracks in stereo and pan them however you wish. The 2 tracks used for the stereo bounce should be panned hard L/R for proper monitoring. In the final mixdown you can mix that stereo pair with the other instruments/vocals.

Reactions: Tobermory
Thank you, Mark and -mjk- for the explanations. Most helpful.

I wish to retain the stereo image of the Bounce mix when I subsequently use the result as a sub-mix. So I will pan the Tracks used to record the Bounce hard Left and Right, when I use them again. And save them by Exporting them as individual, mono files, and name them accordingly.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.