Can I delete tracks but save the mix down?

Darryl Amundson

Gear owned
dp 24 sd
I have tracked all my songs and have mixed them down. I had only saved one master file, and was about to do the rest but have run out of card space. I have delete unused data off all songs.
My question is, can I delete tracks to free up space while still retaining g the saved mix downs? Any other options for me? Thanks.

Yes you can delete tracks without harming the master file. You may need to repeat 'Delete Unused' for that song so the track files really get deleted from the card.
You can copy complete song folders from the card to the computer, then delete them (using the computer) from the card to free up even more space. When you want to return to working on those songs, just copy the song folder(s) back and they'll appear in your song list.

Thanks Phil. I just want to be clear. Is the saved ‘mix down’ a separate file than a master file?
I have only done record on the master section on one song when the card was full.

There is only one 'master file'. It's poor terminology by Tascam as it contains the mix when you mixdown, then it's overwritten when you master. It keeps the previous state in a 'z' file for undo purposes, so the non z file is normally the one to copy.
Are you saying the card became full during the actual mastering process or did it just not let you start the process? If it was in the middle of writing the file it won't be complete, but the previous state should still be in the z file. If it didn't start the process, the non z file should still contain your last mixdown.
If in any doubt, I would transfer the whole song folder to your computer before doing any tinkering. As mentioned, if you copy all the songs to your computer, then delete all but the current from the card, you can process that with loads of space.

And keep in mind - when you move everything to the computer - you can also make a copy to have an "all original" backup.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.