Can I record vocal tracks on a separate 24sd after band lays down tracks!?

Roosta

Gear owned
Tascam 24sd
Hi there....my band is recording on the tascam 24sd.....I am out of town for a few months and also have the 24sd. Once they put the drums, bass, and guitar riffs down, I'd like to add vocal tracks. What is the best way to do this so I can add tracks and send back. We would like to continue to send back and forth. Is this possible by exchanging the SD card or should they upload to a computer and have me pull the file into my 24sd. Any thoughts?

I think this would be easy. Have you moved a file from the DP to a computer yet? Basically, you choose the track, assign it to the Audio Depot, connect the DP to your computer USB cable, set the DP to USB mode, and move the audio track (a WAV file) onto the computer. I was confused by the instruction manual, but I have found it easy to do. I did that several times today!

You could pass the SD card to the band. You could put the file on a thumb drive.

Theoretically, you could email it, though most email services will refuse big files. If the file is too big to email, you could transfer the large file with a Dropbox (or similar) account. You upload the file, send an email, and the recipient retrieves it via internet.

So quickly - band cuts tracks and makes a trial mix. They upload from their recorder to Dropbox. You download the mix file and import it into your DP. You record your killer vocal track!

You move the vocal track to your computer and upload to Dropbox. The band retrieves it, moves it to their recorder and mixes you in.

Thank you very much Matt. Very informative and helpful!!

Reactions: Matt B
HI guys. If my drummer records onto an sd card from a DP-008, can I take the tracks off that card and put them in my Dp-24. In other words can I use the tracks recorded on one Tascam model recorder to a different Tascam model recorder?

Hey Vinnie -

I can't say for sure because I'm not familiar with the DP-008... (and, surprise, I don't know everything) but here's what I think by what I'm reading elsewhere...

Because the DP-008 seems to be capable of exporting track data as .wav files - and the DP-24 deals only with .wav files... I'm thinking you should be able to do this. Just remember that the bit depth setting of the song (either 16 or 24) needs to be the same (and perhaps the sample rate as well - either 44.1 or 48).

Seems to me this should be not only doable - but simple as load-and-go.

HI guys. If my drummer records onto an sd card from a DP-008, can I take the tracks off that card and put them in my Dp-24. In other words can I use the tracks recorded on one Tascam model recorder to a different Tascam model recorder?
No, not directly ... at least not between the two you mention. The DP008 records tracks to a proprietary format. It organizes the directory structure in its own way, and the SD card has a proprietary partition and a FAT partition. So ... to exchange files you must EXPORT your tracks (which puts them in FAT partition as 16/44.1 WAVs), copy them from the FAT partition to another media (hard disk, thumb drive, SD card, whatever) and then IMPORT them to the DP24/32 unit.

You MUST use the 16/44.1 on the DP24/32. Once you make your changes/edits/new tracks you'd have to reverse the process, EXPORT from the DP as 16/44.1 WAV and then IMPORT to the

The DP's get around all this crap by recording directly to WAVE on a FAT32 formatted SD card. No conversions needed from one DP24/32 to another.

Thanks guys. That answers my questions. Considering my drummer is 500 miles away, the conversion work I'll have to do will be worth saving me an 8 hour trip to go record him. Thx again.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.