Can I use a MOTU system to copy all my tracks to hard drive?

MrKnobs

Gear owned
mx2424 dm3200 dm24
I have some old DA-88 machines and tons of work I've done on those machines. What devices do I need to just put tape after tape into my machines and copy everything to a computer? Do I need a MOTU PCI 424 and a rack mount unit (MOTU 2408 mk3 for example) and some software (where available)?

Posting this here on the MX forum as well as the DA88 forum since I'll be using the system on both devices. Thanks! :)

Terry D.

do you have analog outputs on da88 and analog on mx? I don't know the da88 but Id say once you have your interface setup to either the mx or your computer you would have to record in real time from the tapes to hd either on mx or computer. I worked with a 2408 transferring files and recording to computer but guy that owned it was there to set it up. Shouldn't have any problems Im sorry Im not more help, I transfer reel to reel and cassette tapes to mx and computer a lot should be pretty much same deal once interface is setup.

If da88 has analog outs and mx has analog ins Id run lines and record straight from da88 to mx. Just because I trust mx more than computer :)

MOTU 2408 has analog but also TDIF and ADAT interface and can be used as digital "bridge".
So no converting digital / analog / digital is necessary.

Yes of course. That's why I have the same rack out caddy as on MX2424 also in my computer.

But MrKnobs asked:
"What devices do I need to just put tape after tape into my machines (DA-88) and copy everything to a computer? Do I need a MOTU PCI 424 and a rack mount unit (MOTU 2408 mk3 for example) and some software (where available)?"

In my PC there is a "PCI-324" card, connected to MOTU2408 by firewire.

Reactions: Caveman
I know you'd prefer avoiding conversions but I'd probably go DA to mx then transfer files from mx to computer ethernet.
I transfer tape to mx then transfer to computer from mx. I'm not recording the boston pops I'm usually dealing with screamers and gtr players with 5 fuzz boxes plugged in.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.