Can monitor efx live while recording firewire to PT?

rqstudio

Veteran
Gear owned
MX-2424 DM-3200
It's been a long time bros but I'm trying something new here and need your help. I want to record live without any efx or eq to Protools using just the trims at the top of the DM but would like to add verb and delay just on the playback. The faders are already adjusting the volume and not effecting the rec levels. If anyone knows if this is possible I'll probably dig in and figure it out myself if I knew it could be done. (and possibly comp for kick drums, etc?) Thanks in advance...

@rqstudio If your routing is setup correctly and you are monitoring your playback on layer 17-32 (DM3200) or 24-48 (DM4800) and so on, you should then be able to apply the effects there. Unless I am not understanding your request.

Reactions: rqstudio
Thank you Peter, glad to see someone is still on here. I don't believe I am monitoring the way you are suggesting? Board is in remote mode - 24 Trims are going to PT, pre everything- monitors are coming back 1 thru 24. Bal, Pans, Sel, solo, mutes, faders do control PT. I thought I could use 25 thru 29 for 1 & 2 stereo efx?

EDIT: Let me modify this a little... I wish to record live performances (shows) dry into PT, while mixing with 2 stereo efx.

Last edited:
@rqstudio I am not that familiar with the "Live" workflow. Sorry about that! Be patient, I am sure that someone on the forum will be able to assist you with your inquiry.

Ah, the edit makes things clear:
1st, forget about the remote layer, that's to control channels/tracks in the DAW. Actually, forget about the DAW for monitoring at all.
Since you already have the MIC/Line inputs going unprocessed to DAW, just select MIC/Line inputs 1-24 as input on channels 1-24, make a mix including the FX in the board, send out to Stereo out and Voilá.

I got that going Arjan, I'm just having problems adding efx on the playback...HOWEVER I realized it would be much simpler just adding the efx to AUX in PT this way I don't have to record them, just don't know if there is going to be a delay?

Why not use the FX the DM already has - with certainly no lag in the signal? Just select the two internal effects you want to use, send singal to them from the AUX 5-6 and AUX 7-8 pages for each individual channel and select two pairs of stereo channels for EFF RTN (to bring it back into the mix as master return level). See the manual from page 81, it's described pretty well actually.

@rqstudio To follow up on the excellent advice provided by @Arjan P the attached document was very helpful to me.

Attachments

• Routing Effects.pdf
    260.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Marvel and rqstudio

New threads

Members online

No members online now.