Can the 12/16/24 record from USB to MTR?

Graham Hunter

Gear owned
DM-1000mk2
I have read the manuals and watched a lot of videos, but this still isn't clear.

Can I play something out of the computer and have that sent to the Model 12/16/24 multitrack recorder?

A concrete example would be:

Channels 1&2 are capturing the output of two microphones
Channels 3 & 4 are connected to a hardware drum machine
Channels 5&6 are connected to a hardware synthesizer

I want Channels 7&8 to record a VST software synthesizer from the host DAW at the same time I'm recording the physical ins.

Is this possible?

Certainly yes.

that’s the whole point of the 3 position switch atop each channel. In your case, set channels 1-6 would be in “live”, channels 7/8 to PC and be sure your DAW is set up outs are set to channels 7/8 via the USB.

You can do this in real time, OR you could capture in steps where you record tracks onto the MTR (hit the red button to arm the tracks as you go).

the only hitch will be timing between your drum machine and the DAW synth... a midi link between them would help ... or route the drum machine through the DAW so that it stays in time with your synth track.

Thanks for the reply. The manual isn't clear on the nuances of how the USB tracks are handled by the recorder.

FYI, the Zoom mixer/recorders don't have this capability. They operate either as a mixer/recorder or an audio interface.

Supporting hybrid “in the box/on the board” work flows is one of the best aspects of the Model series in my view.

Capturing live as discussed, yes indeed, they work great- works especially well as a live band PA mixer that also records. I actually prefer the Model 12 for this kind of tracking as it’s more flexible and more portable if you are leaving the PC at home. And for working solo it has midi. But sometimes with the Model 12 I run out of inputs with a 4 piece if we have 4 singers plus 4 mics on drums plus 3 other instruments.

When tracking is complete, just import all the track files to a DAW and start to mix and apply plugins (compression EQ verb, de noise etc) to each track until the preliminary DAW mix sounds good. You can “bus” in the DAW sets of tracks such as drums etc.

Then when you have a close to final
Mix, playback the processed tracks/busses from the DAW back through the Model 16/24 via USB for a final mixdown mixing in real time (eg hands riding on faders) in *analog domain*. It adds a little sumptn’ sumptn’ to the track and you can do all your fades by hand which is fun and satisfying.

You can also do this with Model 12 but there’s isn’t quite as much point to it on this device as everything stays in digital domain rather than analog so less of a “sweetener”.

At this stage if you re-record the tracks coming out of the DAW as a new song file on the model you can easily make a few trial mix downs with or without the DAW... or go back and fix a clam in a track via punch in or add new tracks.

The final 2 track mixdown master file coming out of the Model can be used “as is” OR go back into the DAW for any mastering/finishing touches and rendering in whatever file format you want to publish.

New threads

Staff online

Members online