Channel Delay/Master Delay question

fclum

From
Bronxville, NY
Gear owned
DM-3200, IF-FWDM MKII
While I understand the application of the Channel Delay/Master Delay functions located in the D. Trim/Delay menu, I have a problem that I've never been able to figure out. Whenever I attempt to use the channel delay at ANY setting I get horrible distortion and digital glitching either with input or with no input (channel at idle with nothing connected) . The master delay works fine. I'm using the DM with the IF-FW/DM mkII at a sample rate of 44.1. Operation seems pretty straightforward. Am I missing something?

What are your clock settings and do you have more than one digital device attached? Those kinds of sounds/issues generally happen when there are clock problems

My clock settings are 44.1, 24 bit. The ADAT settings are set at 48k. It is being used to drive a pair of JBL digital monitors. I only have one additional device connected. It’s a Lexicon NuVerb digital Reverb that is hosted in an old Mac IIsi. It’s connected to Digital in 1 by AES connection but is typically off unless I need it. Other than that there are no other digital devices connected and the word clock output is not connected to anything. I am using a MOTU MIDITimepiece AV that has a word clock connection but it is not being used or is it even connected.

But what clock is the board actually using and what are the settings on your computer? I just tried it out here and had no issues at all and the types of sounds and issues you are describing sounds like clock problems ... is the board set to Internal clock? (Look at the Project page in the CLOCK tab) At the top of the page it should tell you SRC STATUS and what you're clocked to. On the left are check boxes to select which source you want to use. I _think_ for the FW card you want internal but honestly not positive, maybe someone else that uses the FW card more can chime in here.

Thanks for your responses Gerk. The SRC Status says Internal 44.1k 0.0% Locked. The internal box is checked in the list. I have 2 cards installed. A firewire card and an ADDA card. If I run a check the result shows Current Fs: 44.1khz ADAT: 48khz Slot 1: 44.1khz and Slot 2: 44.1 kHz. I'm unable to change the Fs of the ADAT. Even if I click the 44.1k button a test still returns the Fs as 48k. The ADAT is NOT checked in the list. Slot 1 and Slot 2 are NOT checked in the list and they are unable to be checked. Each time I try, nothing happens.

Ok that setting sounds correct then. You won't be able to change the ADAT sync in unless there's a signal there to check against, so that's also normal.

BUT ... on just testing again to make sure I wasn't dreaming I'm actually having the exact same issues here. I guess that on my previous test I used the main output and not a channel. I just tested on a channel and verified I see the exact same issue, it was horrible distortion. And I can guarantee that my settings are all correct!

So it's not just you, maybe this is an issue with the board/firmware itself. Thankfully I don't need to use this for anything so I will just continue to ignore it as it's unlikely it will get fixed at this point!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thanks for all your input Gerk. It’s unlikely that I will use this function either but I can see where it might be useful to correct phase alignment issues which is what I imagine it was designed to do. You’re right, it’s unlikely that anything will ever be done about this issue if it is in fact a result of firmware or some other operating software for the DM series mixers. By the way, what DAW are you using?

I mostly use Pro Tools these days, but also sometimes Digital Performer and Logic Pro X.

I use Logic Pro x. Did you test this in Pro Tools, DP or Logic?

I tested just within the console itself with a hardware input channel going directly to the speakers I have attached to the control room out.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.