Channel Fade Issues During Mixdown - DP-24

Jeff Randall

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24
Proud owner of a Tascam DP-24...I'm having an issue while in the Mixdown stage where certain channels/tracks will either loop or drop/fade in volume. However when they are played in the Multi-Track mode they are fine.

This is the first I've experienced this. It's the 9th song on the SD card I'm currently using (plenty of available space) and I didn't have this issue with any of my other mixing projects. I've re-recorded the tracks, and I get the same thing in the same spot in the song on the same channels.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

First, I would export those tracks and listen to them on the PC. That will reveal whether or not the issues are with how the tracks were recorded.

Well, here's some more info...the channels in question are 21/22 & 23/24. I had drum tracks on these channels, and that's where the signal would drop/fade during mixdown only. Last night I recorded guitar tracks on these channels, and just like the drums, they were fine during playback but during mixdown they would drop out at the exact same spot as the drum tracks did. I re-recorded the drums on different stereo tracks, and no issues at all during a dry mixdown run.

Based on this I'm thinking that it's an issue with the channels themselves, but I can't explain why it's only during Mixdown, and at the exact same spot of the song no matter what is on those channels.

Once I'm done with this project I'm going to try and load a previously-done song and do a remix and see if those channels behave the same way. If they do then I'll know it's something with the unit itself, and if not then for some reason it's how the channels behave in that project only (I don't know if it's a coding issue or something like that).

Thoughts? If it is the channels during mixdown only is that something that can be fixed?

Do they still behave that way if the tracks are solo'd during mixdown? There may be some mixing/phasing issue when playing those tracks with others, and this would occur at the same point. Check all the 'blocks' on the track path.... EQ, phase, guitar insert effect, sends, etc.
Update... just re-read your post re. trying guitar instead of drums, so the signals are completely different so ignore my suggestion! Last shot... are you using the latest firmware?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
The situation you're experiencing is so odd it makes me wonder if something screwy happened during the last FW update that is only now manifesting.

So let me ask some very basic questions:

1.Do you own the original DP-24 or the newer SD version?

2. Are you using a TASCAM tested/approved SD card?

3. When did you last update the FW?

4. From which previous FW version did you update?

5. What is the FW version currently on your machine?

7. Did you do a full format of your SD card after the last FW update?

6. Have you had any "file error" messages or other SD card related anomalies either before or after updating the firmware?

7. Have you done anything with the SD card other than use it exclusively in the card slot on your machine?

Last edited:
I still say - export the files and listen to them on the PC using Audacity or some such. It really does matter if it's a record or playback only issue.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Mark - answers to your questions are below.

1.Do you own the original DP-24 or the newer SD version? - Original DP-24

2. Are you using a TASCAM tested/approved SD card? - Yes. I have 8 other completed songs on this card and have never had any issues.

3. When did you last update the FW? - I updated the FW earlier this week. I had this channel issue before that (week prior) so I checked the FW to make sure I had the most current. I did not, so I updated a few days ago.

4. From which previous FW version did you update? - 1.16

5. What is the FW version currently on your machine? - 1.19

7. Did you do a full format of your SD card after the last FW update? - No, because I have material on the SD card that I don't want to lose by formatting.

6. Have you had any "file error" messages or other SD card related anomalies either before or after updating the firmware? - No.

7. Have you done anything with the SD card other than use it exclusively in the card slot on your machine? - No.

MJK - I do everything - from recording to mixing to mastering - exclusively on the DP-24. As such I don't have any computer-based software to export the tracks to and play them through.

I will download something tonight and give that a try. However based on the fact that the issue seems to be limited to tracks 21/22 & 23/24 no matter what is recorded on them, and that it's always in the same spot leads me to believe there's either something wrong with the unit itself or the SD card.

No need for a DAW initially.

1. Export the four tracks (21/22/23/24) to Audio Depot and use the USB port to transfer to your computer. You can use Windows Media Player or any other .wav file player to play back each of the individual track .wav files. This independently verifies the raw tracks recorded in Multitrack Mode are ok.

2. If the individual tracks are ok, then do a Mixdown in the DP-24 of 21/22 , use the USB port to copy the Mixdown stereo .wav file and listen as above. Repeat for 23/24. This helps determine if the issue is within the DP-24 mix/record (Mixdown Mode) or mix/playback (Master Mode). If the former, playback will be flawed on the computer. If the latter, computer playback should be ok.

3. If the exported raw tracks are ok, then you can use a DAW to do an independent mix down on the computer to help confirm the issue is internal to the DP-24.

Last edited:
MJK - I do everything - from recording to mixing to mastering - exclusively on the DP-24. As such I don't have any computer-based software to export the tracks to and play them through.

I will download something tonight and give that a try. However based on the fact that the issue seems to be limited to tracks 21/22 & 23/24 no matter what is recorded on them, and that it's always in the same spot leads me to believe there's either something wrong with the unit itself or the SD card.

Thanks Jeff. The reason you want to listen on the computer is because it'll tell you whether it's recorded that way or being played back that way. At the moment the only thing you know is that you don't hear it while you're recording, but you only hear it on playback in Mixdown. So if the issue is in the playback section only, that will tell you where to start troubleshooting. However, if it does the same thing when you play the files on your computer or mobile phone, then you know the issue is with the recording path (but it seems unlikely).

Last edited:
MJK - I don't have this problem when I'm just playing back the tracks as they were recorded. They all sound fine then. This only happens when I'm recording in Mixdown mode.

Understood Jeff. The first thing that I do when I hear weirdness in a mix, is solo tracks. What do those tracks sound like when soloed? This is a crucial piece of information. Do you hear the anomaly when they are soloed?

Oh, and this may sound dumb, but as they are stereo tracks, please use the Mixer screen and verify that the polarity (called "phase" by Tascam) is not reversed on those tracks.

I did try and do a mix with just those tracks soloed, and the same thing happened. I even tried re-recording the drums & other instruments on different virtual tracks in the same channels, and I get the same problem in the exact same spot. I exported these tracks to my computer, and they all play fine start to finish.

Next I tried loading a different song from the same SD card and did a mixdown on that song in the DP-24. No issues whatsoever.

So now I'm thinking that it's not the unit itself, and perhaps just a freaky recording glitch. Next I think I'll try creating a new project and see if I have the same issues.

Export all the tracks and import them into a new song project.

Personally, I would copy the contents of the entire SD card to my PC, and do a full format in the DP machine. Then I would copy everything back and then create a new song project for the files to be imported to.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond and try and help me with these issues - your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I will just have to take the unit into my local Tascam-authorized repair shop and have them give it a complete look-over. Now in addition to the issue that I originally wrote about my channel 1 Select button no longer illuminates and I'm unable to select that channel to access the EQ effects, etc. This is regardless of what song I have loaded.

Thank you all again!

Jeff, before you spend that kind of money, give it a shot of Deoxit, or whatever kind of professional contact cleaner you can get in your location. When I got my used machine, many of the buttons required a very hard press to activate them. After the contact cleaner, it behaves like a new machine. There's nothing wrong with the LED. The switch isn't actuating so the LED cannot turn on. Just shoot some contact cleaner in there, and you'll be all set. Be sure to do it with the unit off, and give it about 50 presses after you spray it.

Well I'm back. As a last-ditch effort I transferred all 24 tracks via Audio Depot to my computer, then transferred them back via Audio Depot to a newly-formatted SD card. Now NOTHING plays back on the unit - I get a "File Error - Writing Failed".

Every single track plays fine on the computer. Now I'm really stumped.

HALP!

File Error is just that. You have the tracks, so don't worry. Do a full format in the machine, and use the unit's USB function to transfer the files back to the audio depot. Create a new song and import the files.

You said "nothing plays back". Then you said you got a file error. You press Play and get the error?

2. Are you using a TASCAM tested/approved SD card? - Yes. I have 8 other completed songs on this card and have never had any issues.
Specifically, which tested card are you using? Even some of the tested cards have been known to fail once in a while. Lots of threads here on that issue.

Did you use the USB port to transfer back and forth, or insert the card into the computer reader?

Did you write-protect the SD card for any reason and forget to switch it back?

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.