"CHOOSE....choose, and perish..." (DP-03 vs DP-006 vs DP-008)

I chose a DP-008EX in preference to a DP-003. For the most part because the DP-008 can be powered from batteries, which is the way I always use it. And this allows me to edit recorded tracks and play with (sub-)mixes on beaches and hilltops and when travelling in cars or trains and anywhere that I would otherwise be just sitting around waiting. (I always take spare batteries and SD cards) This frees up more of my time in the home studio for playing and recording. And I have a DP-24 there for mixing.

I also prefer mixing using rotary knobs for volume setting rather than short throw faders. Though I realise that I may be the only one.

Reactions: shredd
One thing I don't quite understand (like OP, I'm looking at both of these units) .... Why would the smaller, cheaper version have input FX and the larger, more expensive not have that? As well as the bigger one having only manual mastering vs. the cheaper one which also has automatic mastering? (I'm not even sure what the advantage is, just something I noticed reading the comments).

Reactions: dctdct and shredd
This turned into a very interesting discussion/comparison. For me, it came down to '008 vs '03...the '006 wasn't up to my needs.

It started when I got my hands on a nearly brand-new '008, and followed the absolutely riveting thread about upgrading the f/ware to "turn it into" an '008EX, with it's enhancements/improvement.
That went perfectly, and now my "008" has the full capabilities of the 'EX. And I love the thing - for all the reasons mentioned in above posts: it's really small (the rotary faders help); it runs on 4 AA's; and has much/most of the features/capabilities of the '03, in a smaller/lighter package. And as @scott123 points out - some are BETTER than the '03.
While MOST people prefer sliding faders - I'd even count myself among them - I have NO PROBLEM effectively/accurately using the rotary ones on the '008/EX. So I'm with @Tobermory there.
Overall, I've found the '008/EX to be an outstanding unit.

ANYway. It wasn't too long before I was offered another great deal - an '03SD that had hardly been out of the box, AND came with the great RC-3F footswitch (which the '03 can use, but the '008's can't...score one for the '03). I basically got the whole bundle for a bag of pucks...couldn't turn it down.
SO: I actually ran them cheek-to-cheek for a while to see which will/won't do what, and how well, and so on. I'm not a specs-hawr, so I didn't do the fine-tooth-comb comparison there...I just wanted to see how they each perform.

Now, the '03 is a FINE unit...but I do NOT need it to be my home-based recorder (I already have a well-outfitted DP-32-based studio in my home) and the outstanding BOSS BR-800 for the small MTR role.
And for what I DO want a small/portable MTR for...the '008/EX has been the answer for me. I even had a BOSS MicroBR - a really micro/portable recorder - but found it pretty limited and didn't justify its' tiny footprint.
AND - keeping another Tascam in the stable helps - there's the 'familiarity factor'; and the '008 is extremely computer/file friendly, whereas even my BOSS has old & cantankerous proprietary connection software.
Soooo...I'd have to say that, for ME, the '008/EX won the battle; it's likely that the '03SD will be hitting the market...:rolleyes:

Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-

New threads

Members online