"Clean Out Track" function not working

ryanpurchase06

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24
I've been having issues with the "clean out track" function. When I first bought my dp-24 it was working fine and all tracks, including virtual tracks, would be deleted from whichever track they were assigned. Now I do not get the little spinning symbol that indicates the unit is deleting the files and when I go into the track all of the virtual tracks are still there and nothing has been deleted. Anyone else running into this issue? I've updated firmware and have re-formatted my SD card and I am still having issues.

Can only speak for the dp32sd but the Clean Out function in Track Edit is instant - there's no spinning wheel. Try it again and check the TimeLine option in the home screen to see if the data has disappeared. Most (maybe all) of the Track Edit functions work by changing pointers to files so it's much faster than handling the audio files themselves... and it lets you Undo things.
Re. Virtual tracks, you have to make each one 'current' before deleting them - no operation works directly on a virtual track; all functions go via a 'mega pointer' which you adjust in the Virtual Track screen to point to the required track, so you can only do things on one virtual track at a time.

When I follow the owner's manual instructions (chapter 8 track editing) to "clean out" track, I get error msg - Trk Edit Fail.
I went to Chapter 16 "messages" to find the remedy. I did like it says, save the song, then cycle power to the DP-24 & try again, but that doesn't remedy the problem.
I ended up using another editing function to "erase" the track.
I'm new at this- this was my first time going into "track edit".
I do have the latest firmware installed.

Not sure about this one Barry (and thank you for the kind words in your other post). The only time I've seen odd behaviour relating to clean track was fixed by updating the firmware, but you say you're already on the latest.
Might be an obvious question but are you sure you are selecting the required track in the track edit field? Coincidentally, I'm in a conversation at the moment with someone who erased the wrong track because they didn't realise you had to fill in that field yourself.
Maybe a dp24 owner can shed more light on this?
Update: Forgot to ask if this is one of your songs you created and recorded? Just asking as your previous post was about the demo, whereas if it's your own song, you've already proved it's ok writing to the card.

Last edited:
Previous posters wrote: "...clean out track function...when I go into the track all of the virtual tracks are still there and nothing has been deleted" ... [and]... "When I follow the owner's manual instructions (chapter 8 track editing) to "clean out" track, I get error msg - Trk Edit Fail...I ended up using another editing function to erase the track".
As Phil wrote,

Virtual Tracks (Ryan)
  • Inactive Virtual Tracks can only be deleted using the Virtual Track function.
  • The active Virtual Track assigned to the physical Track cannot be deleted using the Virtual Track function.
Track Editing (Barry)
  • Use "Track Edit/Clean Out" to erase all the content on the selected physical (active) Track.
  • Use "Track Edit/Silence" to do a partial erase only of the selected physical (active) Track content between marked points of the Song. However, when the entire Song is marked off, the "Silence" function acts on the selected physical (active) Track like the "Clean Out" function does.
  • The SD card must be write-enabled, and Song/Protection must be off.
You should not get a "Track Edit Fail" message when applying the above, so the only thing I can conclude is:
  • There's an as yet unidentified user error causing that message; or
  • The SD card is write protected; or
  • The Song is protected; or
  • Your SD card is approaching full capacity and misbehaving; or
  • You have a large number of snippet (edits, punches, overdubs, etc.) ZZ files associated with the Song; or
  • Your card is reaching the end of its useful life; or
  • The SD card you're using isn't on the most current TASCAM tested/approved list for your portastudio and is misbehaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
It's the demo I'm working on.
I did enter the track number- I used the jog/data wheel to enter the track # I wanted to clean out. Then pressed f4 with no luck. I tried to clean out another track using the same method- same error msg: Trk Edit Fail

The SD card is the card that came with the dp24. I recently erased several songs (prior to this issue) so I'm certain it's not an issue with available space on the SD card.

I do have another Tascam approved SD card, I'll try that.

Hi @Barry Palmer. Sorry you're having issues. How about making a quick mobile phone video and either putting it on YouTube or in the cloud somewhere with a link so we can follow along as you perform the procedure?

Reactions: Mark Richards
I forgot already so I had to go back into track/edit to see the history list- Silence is what I used.
As far as the YouTube video goes, I'll work on that. It'll be my first.

Reactions: -mjk-
I tried the new SD card I purchased several years ago, It was listed as a Tascam approved SD card. Performed quick format, then full format. Transferred demo from PC back to DP24 & tried again. No luck, still getting Trk Edit Fail
Looks like I'll have to try to include a video link as per MJK's suggestion.

@Barry Palmer there have been a few instances where genuine bugs have been discovered. A video would help a great deal so we can follow along with you. It doesn't have to be a big production video. Just a mobile phone shot with commentary is good enough. Thanks.

New threads

Members online