compatible fw card

earlink45

From
Texas
Gear owned
DM 3200
been running with only 16 channels for some time now and have been delaying purchasing a fw card. I know it needs to be Texas Instruments. I bought the wrong one first time around. want to make sure I get it right. is there anything else that specific?

Last edited:
Hi Earlink,

Your question is a bit vague.
I'm not sure what computer platform you are running... PC or Mac.
Sounds like you are seeking a FW card for your computer that will be compatible with the Tascam IF-FW/DM mkII card for the DM.

That is a great combo and is working well in many systems.

I assure you that the folks here can help you.
I have been constantly amazed by the depth of knowledge and experience here.

Assuming you're running a Win7 PC, and don't need a lot of F/W inputs, any inexpensive VIA-compliant PCIe firewire card should work.

I"ve been using a 2-port card I got from Egghead.com - staggering price of $7.95 - for four years without any problems. So you don't have to spend a lot.

The VIA vs: Texas Instrument debate still goes on, but I tend to believe sticking with Tascam's VIA compliant recommendation is a good idea.

CaptDan

Yes Win7PC. I bought a Rosewill RC504, the skimpy manual states VIA OHCI compliant but that's about it. I only get 16 channels, thought it was the card. I read on an old post same sinario but can't find it now. So I thought it was the card, can't find info on chipset online it's not clearly stated. Been looking at some SYBA and SIIG cards but don't want to make the same mistake.

Maybe I'm missing something? Is IFFW 32IO or strictly 16I/16O? I'm using Sonar 6 and DM3200. In Sonar I'm able to select 16 inputs only.

You probably have your DM's Digital/FWire interface set to 16 channels TO computer. Go to the 'Digital/Slot' menu and check. If '16' is currently selected, change that to '32.'

Same deal with outputs FROM computer - 16 or 32 can be selected there too. Some PCs aren't robust enough to handle 32 bi-directional channels, so users who only need 16 or less INPUTs can limit the channels to save CPU power.

CaptDan

Last edited:
Dan I checked and both input and output were already set to 32 tracks. Firmware ver 1.10 Any other suggestions?

Wild guess department: I'm not familiar with Sonar, but perhaps you might uninstall your DM/FW card & drivers, then do a fresh re-install. Also, be sure to use the latest Tascam drivers available free for download here. There might be some setting in Sonar 6 involved as well.

Also, be sure to choose Windows "Legacy' driver in the PC's IE1394 Device menu.

CaptDan

Had another thought: maybe you haven't created more than 16 I/O in Sonar. There's likely a peripheral_definition_menu of some sort that allows for that.

Any Sonaroidz reading? :)

CaptDan

Sonar only recognizes 16 input channels and 16 output channels at this time. Been looking for preference/setup page that perhaps would allow me to change but haven't found it.

DM is running ver 1.7
IFFW running 1.10

It was about a year ago when I got the DM and initially got all current updates. It is very possible that I did the IFFW update with the Digital Slot configured to 16 before the install. Perhaps that only allowed 16 to install.

The IE1394 host controller is set to legacy
Under driver tab in IFFW DM mkii list version 4.1.3.17357

I guess I will attempt a reinstall. Do I need to do both firewire card and IFFW?

Last edited:
Also in Sonar when assigning I/O to tracks it states ASIO IFFW DM mkii (16 in, 16 out).

Does your software allow you to select from 32 in and 32 out?

I found it in Sonar. Under options, audio, drivers, both in and out not checked off for 17-31.

thank you Dan you right!!! Saved me some cash and glad this chase is over?

Now I need some clarification. Am I only able to control remotely 16 only? Under controllers/surfaces I have Mackie control 1 and XT 1. I believe Ernie may have shared this in his tutorials.

Reactions: captdan
No, you should be able to bank through your DAW tracks 16 channels at a time. I have no clue about doing that with Sonar though..

Ok understood that's right use the bank buttons. I had it working but that was before I new I could bank up and down. Unfortanely remote layer not working now. Need to start over. Be going through old post looking for how to get it working in Sonar. I know it involves usb 5 & 6 on MIDI page of DM. That's about all I remeber.

I'm reading the documentation Sonar 6 setup guide. I thought it use to have sticky? Oh well then I'm off to Jamsire's video

Yep there it's under documentation and manuals...I miss it every time... I read everything else first...is it me or does it seem out of place?

I think it's quite prominent on top of the page, but a blue background like the stickies would certainly help..

New threads

Members online