Compatible SD cards for DP-32SD?

liquidsmoke

Gear owned
DP-32SD
Hello, this is my first post here. Just got a DP-32SD unit to record my band and projects.

My apologies if this has been post about recently, this site won't let me search for 'SD card' and I didn't see any recent posts.

It seems that the Tascam website is quite out of date regarding compatible SD cards for this unit. The only brand I'm seeing in stores here is SanDisk. I found an Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I at a Best Buy but it's the SDSDXPA-032G-A46END instead of the SDSDXPA-032G-J35N listed on the Tascam website. I had to have an employee look up the model number as it wasn't actually listed on the packing. And I see that the J35N model is discontinued. Are these the same or is Tascam no longer testing new SD card models for compatibility? I also investigated an Ultra PLUS SDHC UHS-I 16GB card and the model number was different. A Target store I went to had mostly micro SD cards rather than the standard size ones.

I hope I'm getting something terribly wrong here. I've used a DP-008EX for 4 or 5 years and love it, just want to be able to use more mics at the same time and store more tracks. I did once make the mistake with my 008EX of using a non-Tascam approved SD card and it stopped working after awhile, don't want to have that happen again.

Last edited:
I don't get these "it won't let me search" comments. The search input field is in the upper right, and it functions very well. One has to keep in mind that the top section of results are Google ad results. Forum results are below that. But as you said Mark, there is a Site Results tab.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

There was a recent discussion with links to current TASCAM tested SD cards (not the old TASCAM PDFs). Look back within about the last 4 weeks or so and you should find it.

Ah, here it is (nov 17 post)
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/my-new-sop.5699/#post-28547
Look at the "edit" in this post. You can access the approved 32SD cards the same way.

Thanks, they seem to be suggesting that the US version of the website has a list or updated list of approved SD cards that the international version does not have. Both of these lists are identical as far as I can tell. Also they mention the non-SD versions of these units which doesn't apply to me.

Interesting thread. Someone mentioned that firmware updates can make an SD card no longer work properly. This is disappointing. I am trying not to enter stage 1 of regret over buying this unit. I would rather not use a 'computer'(PC/Mac) to record though. I'm very tempted to start a thread entitled "What 32GB SD card do you use in your DP-32SD with v1.06 firmware installed?" as I just installed 1.06 so I wouldn't experience the problem people are reporting. I'd be okay with using a 16GB card if it will hold 45+ minutes of 20+ hi-fi tracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
"I don't get these "it won't let me search" comments. The search input field is in the upper right, and it functions very well. One has to keep in mind that the top section of results are Google ad results. Forum results are below that."

My bad, you are right. At first I saw this message- "The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: SD" and was thrown for a loop.

Sometimes my mind quickly starts turning into putty when I get frustrated with technology. I'm pulling it together to find a solution so I can start recording ASAP.

Ahhh, yeah, I've done that myself.

Did you read where I gota new card and upgraded to the latest version and my issues went away? I have a newer version of one of the approved cards.

Interesting thread. Someone mentioned that firmware updates can make an SD card no longer work properly. This is disappointing. I am trying not to enter stage 1 of regret over buying this unit. I would rather not use a 'computer'(PC/Mac) to record though. I'm very tempted to start a thread entitled "What 32GB SD card do you use in your DP-32SD with v1.06 firmware installed?" as I just installed 1.06 so I wouldn't experience the problem people are reporting. I'd be okay with using a 16GB card if it will hold 45+ minutes of 20+ hi-fi tracks.

Don't panic, sir. There is ZERO hard evidence that any particular firmware version has any particular effect on any particular SD card. These are great recorders - and well worth the effort to make sure you get a proper card that works. I think it's looked at as "good practice" as opposed to a certain, specific "fix".... to do a full reformat of whatever card(s) you have *after* updating to the latest firmware version.

Also - regarding card size and how many tracks/songs it can store: one of the best aspect of these recorders is that you can quickly move song and/or track data back and forth from a computer with speed and ease... making card size/capacity nearly irrelevant.

Welcome to the forum! You're likely to really appreciate the Tascam DP once you get rolling. I love mine!

Ahhh, yeah, I've done that myself.

Did you read where I gota new card and upgraded to the latest version and my issues went away? I have a newer version of one of the approved cards.

What unit do you have and what card do you use?

“Don't panic, sir. There is ZERO hard evidence that any particular firmware version has any particular effect on any particular SD card. These are great recorders - and well worth the effort to make sure you get a proper card that works. I think it's looked at as "good practice" as opposed to a certain, specific "fix".... to do a full reformat of whatever card(s) you have *after* updating to the latest firmware version.

Also - regarding card size and how many tracks/songs it can store: one of the best aspect of these recorders is that you can quickly move song and/or track data back and forth from a computer with speed and ease... making card size/capacity nearly irrelevant.

Welcome to the forum! You're likely to really appreciate the Tascam DP once you get rolling. I love mine!”

Cool cool. For some reason I couldn’t quote your post.

I definitely want to get 32GB cards that work flawlessly. I need to get rolling ASAP.

This is the new version of a card listed on the Tascam website. I’d love to go to Best Buy after work tonight and pick one up if you folks think it will run right.

1128e88dc654ab3a295add.jpg

Both of these cards have been reliable for me. So much so that I located and purchased a back-up for each one.

Attachments

• 20181212_153829.jpg
    20181212_153829.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 41
“Both of these cards have been reliable for me. So much so that I located and purchased a back-up for each one.”

Excellent, thank you, my list has begun.

“Don't panic, sir. There is ZERO hard evidence that any particular firmware version has any particular effect on any particular SD card. These are great recorders - and well worth the effort to make sure you get a proper card that works. I think it's looked at as "good practice" as opposed to a certain, specific "fix".... to do a full reformat of whatever card(s) you have *after* updating to the latest firmware version.

Welcome to the forum! You're likely to really appreciate the Tascam DP once you get rolling. I love mine!”

Cool cool. For some reason I couldn’t quote your post.

I definitely want to get 32GB cards that work flawlessly. I need to get rolling ASAP.

The latest firmware for the DP 32 specifically addressed the file error message that many users like me were getting when working with the machine. The upgrade to 1.10 has solved the problem. I have experienced zero errors since the upgrade.

The following is a quote from the firmware change log:

"V1.10 changes

- It shows "File error" on display during recording and the recording ends in failure sometimes.

This has been fixed."

I don't think this was card specific, but I couldn't use the machine with any card without failures. So, one may be chasing an SD card issue that's actually a firmware problem.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Someone mentioned that firmware updates can make an SD card no longer work properly. This is disappointing.

Those firmware updates caused the machine to malfunction no matter what card you were using.

"Those firmware updates caused the machine to malfunction no matter what card you were using."

Which ones? I just updated to 1.6, which version should I use? I'm really confused now.

The latest firmware for the DP 32 specifically addressed the file error message that many users like me were getting when working with the machine. The upgrade to 1.10 has solved the problem. I have experienced zero errors since the upgrade.

The following is a quote from the firmware change log:

"V1.10 changes

- It shows "File error" on display during recording and the recording ends in failure sometimes.

This has been fixed."

I don't think this was card specific, but I couldn't use the machine with any card without failures. So, one may be chasing an SD card issue that's actually a firmware problem.

I'm only seeing up to 1.6, do you mean 1.1?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.