Connecting guitar

Aldo66

From
Scotland
Gear owned
Tascam Model 16,,
Can someone please talk me through the following. I have a strymon iridium , an amp and cab emulation pedal which I would like to use to record
Electric guitar on my DP32. The stereo outputs on the iridium are unbalanced . The inputs on the rear of dp32 are balanced.
What I the best way to connect. Will I need a DI box with two balanced outputs ? . Or can I just use normal instument cables to connect to the inputs of the dp32, or will I use TRS leads to make the connections. I’m confused

I understand you confusion. No harm will be done if you use unbalanced cables. Use a couple of guitar cables and get on with it! :)

@Aldo66, make sure you post links to what you're doing!

Sorry, im not sure what you mean
Got all the info i required.
Ts leads straight in to rear of DP32
to record some guitar. Problem solved.
Thanks again

I mean, that when you are finished with recording a song, be sure to post a link to it so we can hear it!

Will do. Just trying to find my way around this machine . Will probably need more advice as I start using it more. Thanks

Reactions: -mjk-
Need some help. I am trying to play guitar with strymon iridium through the mixer section of dp32.
Cant get a signal on left output of iridium/ only from the right chanel. Using unbalanced leads from iridium in to two line inputs in the tascam. i have tested the line inuts of the tascam and they are all working. Any suggestions are welcome, probably from other iridium users. thanks

For mono-in/stereo out on the Iridium.... make sure you are using a standard TS cable from guitar (or pedals) to the Iridium input. The Iridium will take a stereo input with a TRS cable - but if it's a mono guitar signal inputting with a TRS cable - you'll lose one side (I assume).

I have to state the obvious - make sure the switch on the back of the Iridium is set to stereo (output).

Just to be clear - in the assign screen on the Tascam.... are you routing your two inputs directly to the stereo bus (like you would if you are only mixing and not recording)? Or are you routing to either two mono tracks or one dedicated stereo track like you would if you planned to record the input(s)?

I am routing to inputs C&D on the stereo bus. Panning C hard left and D hard right. I am not using track section at the moment, I was just wanting to listen to sounds from the strymon.
And I am currently only hearing the sound from right speaker. TS cable to input of iridium from guitar then two TS cables from outputs to stereo bus. I think I am missing something on the iridium settings. Haven’t a clue what though.

So to be specific and confirm.... you've got the stereo switch on the back of the Iridium set to stereo? You've got the L and R output of the Iridium cabled to inputs C and D? The input C and D meters are both jumping when you play something? Or no? If so - in the Tascam "assign" screen you've toggled the C and D "stereo bus" indicators at the bottom of the "assign" screen so that they're both illuminated (on the DP-32SD their lit green when "on")? And - to be clear - for stereo you'll need to set the "pan" hard left and hard right in the respective "input mixer" screens (not "track mixer") for both inputs C and D.

If all that's correct - not sure what the issue might be other than a bad cable which I've assumed you've eliminated as a possibility.

Could it be an issue with you're monitoring setup? Trying to help but running out of ideas.

Is the Strymon new or used?

If you put headphones directly into the Iridium - all good on both L and R?

Last edited:
Yes all the above is correct. All inputs on Tascam are working and I have checked the leads. It must be the strymon. I bought it used , it’s in really good condition though. There is an audible hum coming from the faulty channel on the left output of strymon , just no sound. I appreciate your help in trying to solve this. Obviously a faulty pedal I have . Never mind

• Wow
Well, I feel bad for you if you got burned with that purchase.

There are some other options out there - but it'll be hard to beat the bang for the buck value of the Strymon Iridium. Aside from the three amp models being top notch - the user friendly format and lack of menus and screens sets it apart in terms of ease of use. IR's are simple to change out. It takes pedals like a champ. It's three absolutey classic amps in a small, simple pedal.

Strymon has it going on. I own several of their products. Their El Capistan echoplex simulator is outstanding. <--- tangent, sorry.:rolleyes:

Seller is willing to refund me when i explained the issues i have had. Nothing lost then. Puts me off buying another one though. I will stick with my amps i think. I was getting good results using with a palmer pdi03. Balanced outputs as well . Boss do an amp and cab pedal as well. I might try that.
I like the idea of the compact pedal format for recording, less hassle. thanks for your help

New threads

Members online

No members online now.