Connecting two Tascam DP32

Reynold

Gear owned
Dp24 and dp32
It is absolutely possible to connect two DP32 together. First connect the midi cables. You need to have reference monitors that have a two channel input to the rear of the speakers. Like the BX5 systems they have a 1/4” and xlr that can be used simultaneously. Great sounding speakers. So the monitor out of the do32’s connect to the speakers. Set the master and slave for each DP32 go to midi setup to do this. If your not using two dp32’s, say one is a do24 and the other is a do32 you will have a tenth of a second lag on the slave unit. Just be aware and use the jog dial to correct error on slave unit before recording or playing.

Hey I am in the process if getting another DP-32 and I was curios how you go about mastering or bouncing tracks from one unit to the next. My speakers take TRS & XLR so that I have covered. I am guessing that you can’t master from one to the next. And to bounce you would have to export out to PC, and then import back thru the audio depot. Please let me know if you have a way to bounce and master that I have not thought of…

I am guessing that you can’t master from one to the next
The stereo signal is available at the stereo & monitor outputs during mixdown and master stages, and at the monitor outputs during the bounce stage (if monitor select is set to bounce) so I don't see why you can't feed this into the 2nd machine. Not sure what you're trying to achieve though.

That makes sense. I was not thinking it through….especially the monitor outputs during the bounce stage As always you are the go-to guy on this unit. Your videos should be sold with the unit. Appreciate the response

Reactions: Phil Tipping
WARNING. Not many powered monitors are made to have both inputs connected simultaneously, even if only one is passing signal!

TEAC AX-20.jpg
You need to have reference monitors that have a two channel input to the rear of the speakers.
If you can find one on Reverb.com or similar, this little gem might be a better solution than doubling the signal going to the speakers. Passive 4-In/2-Out. Each input routable Left, Center, Right. Also works in reverse: 2-In/4-Out. Click to enlarge.

Last edited:
I'm a little bit lost. I might be overthinking as usual.
Do we speak here of syncing (via MIDI) 2x DP-32 during tracking? Or to mixdown 32+32 tracks into one master? Or to merge two masterfiles in one?
Or do we just talk about "hearing" what is on the stereo bus, hence 2x (L+R) to the one set of speakers?
I.e. what is the goal of this discussion?
Thank you in advance.

@dctdct said:
I'm a little bit lost. I might be overthinking as usual.
Do we speak here of syncing (via MIDI) 2x DP-32 during tracking? Or to mixdown 32+32 tracks into one master? Or to merge two masterfiles in one?
Or do we just talk about "hearing" what is on the stereo bus, hence 2x (L+R) to the one set of speakers?
I.e. what is the goal of this discussion?

Syncing both units with MIDI so the recordings on both machines stay synchronized to the point possible.

Merging 2 Master files is not really practical unless they are imported back into one machine and then mixed together. Alternatively they could be edited in a DAW.

How one would do a mix with 2 machines would be to take the stereo output of Machine #1 and bring that into 2 inputs on Machine #2 and assign them to the Stereo Bus. So, it would be 32 + 30 tracks, total.

Reactions: dctdct
Has anyone tried to record on 2 DP’s at once? I know the playback sync’s up via midi, but if you hit record on the first unit, does the synced unit also go into record mode? I would love to track a full band and 8 inputs are not enough.

Reactions: -mjk-
If you have correctly configured the MIDI connection between the devices, yes.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.