Considering buying a DM 24

Fabian Vasquez

Gear owned
788,32 sd, cdrw 750,2488,
Hello new here, I have a chance to get a Dm 24/mx 2424, in fully usable excellent condition that sat most its whole time in a music school storage room, its in pristine condition and looks hardly used,for 700, bucs, my concerns are should I get these units even if there not made anymore, and im not to familiar with a digital board, but its certainly an upgrade from the old behringer pos board I got,it does not have the firewire card installed, cant find one, but im not a computer guy, ive had adats with analoge mixers, im afraid ill be buying a big headache if the board breaks down, ill have to get another digital board that will work with the mx 2424, Ive never had trouble with any of my tascam gear, hell I still got a cassette portasudio for 30 years and it still works, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Its got a couple lines through the lcd screen, still readable but I know it'll go out sometime thought about going the 2seemy.com workaround monitor screen hook up if they still sell them,looks pretty easy to do searched for replacement screen but that dont look to easy to do, the guy knocked another hundred off the price, it comes with a meter bridge and a working mx2424,$600, should I buy??

If everything works, lights up, fader movement OK, for that price if you have the spare change, I'd certainly recommend buying it since the gentleman shaved another $100 off. Now this might seem a silly question but I'd think rather obvious; some people assume that all the ins/outs, knobs, effects, lights and sliders work ok, if the appearance is good; have you had an opportunity to run a signal (any signal, from say a portable CD player, mike, guitar, etc) through the inputs/outputs? Since the board has been in storage so long, it is likely there's just some oxidation buildup (i.e., static/noise) in the pots or sliders, or even on the contact surfaces of the jacks, which fader cleaner/lube would take care of). Checking this wouldn't take that long but would clinch the sale, if everything works. Even if you can't locate extra board options, this is one heck of a board, considering what they listed for when they came out. If you have a good Midi/USB/Audio PC interface, you can do whatever you want. The onboard effects are pretty fine too. The learning curve is steep for some, but it's a deep mixer that is by no means obsolete. As for the screen, if the lines are getting to the 'pull your hair out' stage, you could try the trick of (carefully) fixing it yourself somewhat, or going the 2seamy route. The 2seamy stock has shown that they are 'low' for sometime, so I would check on that. Adding a small PC case/cooling fan to stir the air inside around the screen area, or even exhaust it out the side or bottom, which would not be an unreasonable alteration/addition, since most agree the heat buildup is what causes the lines to appear. A friend had a small fan mounted around the back where the heat sinks are to help with that, since they get really warm. If you turn it off when you're not using it, that will extend the life, and goes without saying to cover it with a clean (non-static inducing) cover at the end of the day. Sure; if it were me, I'd have my cash in hand and bring it home Now; today, but then I'm predjudiced since I have 2 of them:). Best of luck, and if you get it, be happy and make some great music!

Thanks for your reply, yes the guy who bought it at an auction, did some drum recordings on it and used it a few times for rehearsal,in the past year, im gonna go get it ill check the channels mic/lines, of course, I seen the few youtube vids on startups, thanks alot man, you dont know how its been knawing at my brain thinking this through this really helps appreciate it!!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.