Copying songs directly from the SD card

Steve Mac

Gear owned
DP 24
Hi Everyone,
I have another newbie type question.
If I remove the SD card and plug it into my computer (SD card reader, obviously), in order to save the WAV file on my computer (and convert it into an MP3 to share). I open the "MUSIC" folder and see the song I want to copy, but there are 2 files with my song name (there are actually many files with different tracks) one has a "_z" after song name and one does not. Which one is the mastered final version?
Thanks,
Steve

I forget right now, but if you right click on the files to see the "properties" and see a stereo .wav, that should be the master version. There should only be one master version as well, because the machine overwrites previous versions.

Hey Steve,

Goodevening.

First of all you will have to create a mastering track or else you will never find it on your SD card.

You are correct, you can take the SD card right out the DP24/32 and put it in the laptop to transfer all your recordings.

HOW TO CREATE MASTERING FILE.
(states it clearly on the manual pg.68-73)
Once you have finished your recordings and you are satisfied with your levels you will have to press the "mixing/mastering" button which is on the dp24.
Now on the screen you should see "mixdown" top left of the screen.
NOW ITS IMPORTANT PART LAST STEP BEFORE YU FINISH
YOU SELECT MARK IN/OUT POINTS YOU WISH TO BE FOR YOUR MASTERING FILE.
ONCE YOU FINISH WITH IN/OUT POINTS PRESS THE RECORD BUTTON AND THE MIXDOWN WILL BE RECORDED TO YOUR MASTER.

LAST STEP PRESS "MIXDOWN/MASTERING" BUTTON ONE LAST TIME AND ON THE LEFT CORNER YOU WILL SEE "MASTERING"
ADJUST THE COMPRESSOR-EQ-DESSER AND YOUR DONE!!!!!

EXIT "MIXING/MASTERING" MODE AND SAVE YOUR PROJECT WITH "F2" BUTTON.

Now when you take you SD card to your PC/Mac and open the song folder you want, in the folder with all those files you said have the "Z ending" you will see a file that has the same name as your song this is the master file.

I hope you will be able to understand through my description.
Enjoy,

Χί Ρό Σίγμα

I tried this as well. Pretty sure i followed everything correctly.. yet when the card was in my computer (actually in the printer connected to my computer because that has a card slot and my computer doesnt) the "Audio Depot" folder with the waves was empty.

A-ha! i found it! Thanks to Xi.Ro.Sigma's advice.It was in the song folder with all the individual tracks, not the Audio Dept folder. thats only for importing and exporting tracks. Ooops.

I'm pretty shocked and very pleased as well. Might buy a laptop for the basement still, but not sure I need it that badly. I don't mind running upstairs with the card when I've mixed everything to dump it to the computer. It's good exersize lol. I'd much rather spend $300 on an acoustic/electric guitar =)

However i now do have "clicks" in one of the three mixes. I think I had the kick drum turned up to high and its distorting because it only happens on kick drum beats. The other two songs sound fine. These are just text mixes anyways Hopefully its not the problem people have reported.

Hello, I also have the same question and didn't seem to clearly understand the answer. Is the mastered file the file with the Z ending or with out the Z ending?

Thank you!

Hi Adam - the file you want is without the z at the end, as in (songname).WAV.

Thank you! Out of curiosity what is the file with the Z on it?

I think it might be an index that the DP uses to reference if you use the Undo function, but I'm not positive...maybe someone else may know for sure.

Reactions: AdamB
I've had the machine maybe 3 weeks now, and I love being able to just pop out the SD card and stick it into the printer slot on my computer upstairs to transfer the mixes. I don't have one in the basement (aka the "studio) yet.

I've recorded 6 songs on it so far. Made mixes of the first 3 a few days ago. No adding effects, panning, EQ - just straight mixing for my first time. I did get clicks on one track but i noticed it happened every time the kick drum it. I know i ran it to high during mixing so it's distorting.

Going to try mixing the next 3 songs this weekend after I add bass and scratch vocals, and going to try adding some panning and EQ. These are just demos. When i record final tracks, I'm going to put the guitar amp in a different room, as everything is in one room for jamming purposes. I wait to record until I have them down with the drummer to where we don't need me doing scratch vocals which reduces mic bleed.

Hey all I've done a bunch of homework on this file transfer thing directly from the SD card. Here is how it goes. After the mixdown the file is created song_002.wav. That's your first wave file mixed down to stereo. Then when you master that file you get song_002_z.wav. This is your final mastered version of the song after mastering EQ and Compression applied. You can generally hear the difference if you listen to them on your computer. The z file sounds a bit more mastered as it were if you've applied decent eq and compression to the final product.

which one is it? One says it is the .wav and someone else says it is .wav_z... Which one is the master file? the manual is no help.

The correct master file is the one without the 'z'.
Regard all 'z' files (in the Song folder or the AudioDepot folder) as 'do not touch' - they are work files used by the system.
The master z file is the 'undo' file and the system renames it when you apply Undo. The track z files are for undo operations and/or partial recordings. Either way, leave them alone!

Different question, if anyone can help?
I've recorded a song and mastered it (DP24-SD).
However, I'd like to add some more tracks. Is this possible?
I can't find the answer in the manual and when I try to "record", I get nothing in my headphones and no reading on the screen ...

Help?

Thanks
Bill

You can't add tracks if you are in MIX or MASTER modes ... you must be in Multi-Track mode (and all those tracks must still be on the card, obviously). Record your new track(s), then remix, and remaster.

I have a concern about available space on an SD card. Ive recorded 6 songs (anywhere from 8 to 12 tracks each) on a 16GB Sd card, and am going to visit my drummer to lay down 3 more tracks by him using 3 inputs for each song.. I'm afraid i might not have enough room on the SD card to add 6 songs worth of drums to the tracks I already have on there. Any way to gauge using the 'TIME REMAING' display on the recorder, how much time I have remaining before filling up the card? For example, if it shows 45 minutes remaining, can I assume that means I can do 9 more tracks at 5 minutes each?

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.