Corrupt flash memory

kellyk

Gear owned
mx2424
Hi all, I have an early machine with the analog card. On start up I get the quick flash on 1-4, then Corrupt Flash Memory. Tried reinstall of Smart Media OS....no luck, same message. Is there a memory for the OS that this might be? I also purchased a used MX online that was used primarily with the Digital card, but has analog too. Can't get any functions to SCSI drives with that one. I have to change menu functions to analog every start up to actually use the machine with my analog board, but can't Smartcopy etc. Is there a menu setting that might prohibit the interface with the SCSIs, since they were all analog? It shows 0,1 drives mounted, but NO VOLUMES MOUNTED on 1 drive and another shows that it's FULL. I do connect separately when attempting.... trying to make things easier on memory, etc. I love these machines, but really hard finding help....a forgotten recorder. Too old to be common, too modern to be vintage, ie the SCSIs, etc. Any help would be appreciated... I'm not a computer guy!

I had a similar issue on e of my MX's recently & found that reseating the memory got it working again. Obviously observe static precautions whilst dong this. I think I might have also given it a light smear of Caig deoxit on the memory sticks gold edge pin thinges.

Thanks Rob, I followed your suggestion, but still get the Corrupt Flash Memory. Would the next step be to replace the stick. It's got the 128. I know they used the 256 too, but if this is the right direction, is there a problem using a 256? Also, is there a specific stick I need or they all the same. As I wrote, I know very little about this computer stuff... I prefer a reel to reel and a good analog board, but this is where I'm at now. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

You can use either 128mB or 256mB, but they do have to be quite specific sticks as far as I am aware. I don't know the part numbers off the top of my head & probably would take a long time to find them, in my chaotic filing system. So it might be easier for someone else to chime in if they have the info to hand.

I'll pull it and get the part # and see what I can find. I guess one question is...is this the Flash Memory? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but this thing has really worked well over the years and, other than installing the analog card, have never even opened it up! Thanks again!!

Did you try removeing the analog card to see if it is ok without it ?

No, but those sticks are available for about $8....so maybe I'll try that before I pull that whole analog tray and ribbons off....seems much easier at this point.

Good call. Are they 256Mb sticks for 8 bucks ?

Thanks for the knowledge. Did you match Part #? I saw the notches were different on some standard ones. I'll look for a match from the link for one located here in the US.

I looked up my old purchases and am pretty sure this was the one that worked. I have several MX2424 machines and my original one that I bought new came with a free upgrade memory stick from Tascam which I think I got this number off, the second one I bought (secondhand) I upgraded myself. My 3rd secondhand machine still needs to be upgraded so I might buy one myself soon. The sticks that did not work were old memory that I had laying around, when I put them in the message said, "No memory installed" or something like that.

Looking at the problem you described it may not be a the memory stick, but for the price of the stick it may be worth the try. I think the problem may be the actual firmware chip, the 256 memory is not what holds the firmware, the 256 memory is used during recording. You do need the 256 memory for the later updates of the firmware to run to its full potential but the machine should still fire up. Check the memory battery on the mother board, remembering that removing the battery will loose the firmware that is installed. If you have a backup on a TL media card this won't be a problem as you can reinstall it after.

The selection of the analog card on every start up is due to not saving you setup in menu 900 store settings. Do this after you set the machine up how you like it to run.

Have you got work on any of the hard drives that you need to keep? If not do a low level format and initilize the drives, this may fix the scsi problem.

Do you have the MX running with mx view on a PC? this makes it much easier to use the smart copy function and to see what is going on/

Can you mount the scsi drives on a PC, I have a scsi case wet up and a scsi card on a PC so I can see what is going on inside the SCSI drive regarding registry folders, project folders and track files. This has helped fix drive problems and recover problem projects in the past.

Keep us posted on what you find.

New threads

Members online