Creating Disk Space and Backup Function

Slugworth

Veteran
Gear owned
DP-008EX
Using a SanDisk (dp-008ex tested) 32g sd card. I was laying down a track and received the "SD card is full" message. I deleted some unused songs and cut a few unused tracks from various songs. Afterwards it let me record quite a bit again and then the same message, not surprisingly, returned. I have backed-up all my recordings on this SD card and copied them to my laptop. I have about a third of my songs mixed down, mastered and moved to my laptop. Also have the all of the individual tracks moved to my laptop.

I want to clear enough space to get through adding tracks to the two songs I am currently working on. Since I have all the backups copied to my laptop, is it okay to remove the backups form the recorder? Are the backups part of the MTR partition? Alternatively, to create disk space I should be able to delete individual tracks from the recorder that I saved to my laptop and bring them back to the recorder if needed, correct?
Thanks in advance for all replies.

Thanks.

If I backup all of my songs, all of my songs individual tracks, masters from the recorder's sd-card to my laptop and erase all the songs except the two I am currently working on. Can I later import them via the backup files instead of individual tracks from my laptop? If so will the backup tracks be assigned as originally recorded to their individual track numbers?

Last edited:
You read my mind. Just bought a couple 32g sd-cards a few days ago. Thanks for the replies.

As the resident Village Idiot, I feel no risk in offering my $0.02:

I also use - exclusively - TASCAM-listed/approved SD cards in my O/G DP-32 (SanDisk ExtremePro's).
Whenever I have a file error or other storage/data issue, I assume there's been a read and/or write error and/or data corruption...I immediately do a complete/full format of the card (IN the DP), and then restore the contents from my daily backup. Sometimes MORE than daily, if I'm in the middle of multiple projects.
FWIW: I also do pretty much all SD/data activity over the USB-port connection to the ‘puter - I rarely (nearly never) remove the card for insertion in the puter (partly for data integrity, & partly to avoid wearing out the DP’s card slot and/or the SD cards).

And - like others - I keep multiple 32GB cards around; I have sort of a "three strikes" rule: if a card flames out 3 times, it's relegated to non-essential use, and a new one takes over in the DP.
We can do that now, since a SanDisk-quality 32GB costs less than a latte & a muffin. I remember when adding the option to increase a desktop PC's HDD from 128MB (yes, I said megabytes) to 256MB cost more than the entire computer. Yes, I'm that old...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I remember when adding the option to increase a desktop PC's HDD from 128MB (yes, I said megabytes) to 256MB cost more than the entire computer.
Not saying I'm old (I think I could just about walk at the time ;)), but I paid quite an amount to upgrade my Atari ST's RAM from 1 MB to 2.5 MB.. My external HD (a separate half shoebox size device with its own power supply and cooling fan inside) had the amazing size of 20 MB! That was the equivalent of 25 floppies!

Last edited:
Reactions: Logrinn and shredd
Here's how old I am:
My dad was a pioneer in the early days of computer development. One day in the mid-60's (I was about 5 and knee-high to Angus Young) he came home with the world's first available-to-the-public handheld calculator.
It was as thick as a large paperback book & 3x as heavy; had a teeeeeny 8-digit LED display; only did +/-/x/divide; no memory; couldn't run on batteries; and cost over $350 (which in those days would get you a pretty nice used car!).

And yet nowadays, I have AI robocallers offering me jobs at NASA and do-it-yourself home prostate-surgery kits.
"Progress"?!? I think not...o_O:mad::evil:

Reactions: Arjan P and Logrinn
I watched the H.R. Puffinblunts, Hong Kong Fuey, and the Six Million Dollar Man with my brothers when we were kids. That makes me old too.

Reactions: Arjan P
And yet nowadays, I have AI robocallers offering me jobs at NASA and do-it-yourself home prostate-surgery kits.
"Progress"?!? I think not...o_O:mad::evil:
Did you apply for one of those offerings? (the first one, I mean) :p

Reactions: shredd
Did you apply for one of those offerings? (the first one, I mean) :p
Nope...but I'm still considering the AI robocall that offered me the choice of being the president of Malawi, or Katy Perry's lingerie consultant - for a simple $500 processing fee and submission of my banking information...o_O

Reactions: dctdct
had a teeeeeny 8-digit LED display; #.o_O:mad:

I'm SOOOO old, I remember that it was a Liquid Crystal Display hehe

I'm SOOO old I remember the Beatles cartoons, of which I just bought the box set on dvd yippeeeee

Attachments

• evil.gif
    evil.gif
    648 bytes · Views: 0
Reactions: dctdct

New threads

Members online

No members online now.