Creating PC Folder/file To park all songs on sd card

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Hi, this is for Phil, or any one with the specific knowledge. Thanks in advance
I've watched your videos Phil, and can't pinpoint a segment on how to create a new PC file to transfer all data from current sd card . I did watch video of you copying, and pasting from DP24SD to a new file/folder, but not the creating of that new PC file/folder. I'm wanting to have SD cards that are artist specific, and just install each artists card prior to their session. My original card has multiple artists, and their song data on them. So I want to park that cards data on PC, and selectively transfer back data to the artists own SD card. Can this be done, or am making things to complicated? 1) Should it be done and 2) How. Maybe you could direct me to the specific video. Note: I have created a new file, but I'm nervous to follow thru. Don't want to loose data,or corrupt the card with the existing songs. Thanks in advance. Also. On existing card there are two songs I recorded that 24sd won't allow me to erase, or export them. When I've tried an error message pops saying these songs cannot be erased bc there's a problem with it. I don't remember seeing the word corrupted in the error message. The remaining data i
On that card is unaffected.

"or any one with the specific knowledge"

I'll take a shot at this.

I think the type of organization that you're describing is a very good idea. As you probably are aware... just be sure that you or your artists(s) are using the proper SD cards and this should work out very nicely.

Here's what I do:

I created a "Master Song File Folder" in the documents folder of my laptop that is meant strictly to store the full song data folders (which contain all the song specific files) that I pull from the DP-32SD. Nothing goes in this folder except the song data folders.

Via USB connection - I open the DP-32SD folder directory on my laptop screen - it shows these folders:

Audio Depot
MUSIC
UTILITY

Open the MUSIC folder and simply copy each song folder (which will be named however you named the song(s) in the DP song list) into the "Master Song File Folder" on my laptop.

In order not to get things mixed up - I then delete that song from the Song list on the DP after confirming that everything was copied properly.

That's it.

I'm not sure about the two songs that you cannot export/erase. I have not experienced that problem. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

Agree with David... although maybe you meant how to create folders on a PC in the first place? I've met people who've used computers for years, yet have never been shown the concepts of folders & files, so they have zillions of unorganised files in their main 'documents' folder.

The exact way you create new folders depends on your operating system, but usually it's under the File menu (Create, New... or New...), and sometimes you can right-click in a blank space in the 'file explorer' window to reveal a 'Create/New...' function. The folder will be created in whichever folder is currently open - so typically this will be your main documents folder which was created when you originally setup your username on the computer.

Once a folder is created, you can copy files into it, and if you 'open' the folder first (double-click it or right-click it & click Open) and repeat the above Create New process, you could also create more folders within it. This means you can have a hierarchy of folders, each of which can contain files and/or more folders. So if you name the folders sensibly, you can organise your data (files) however you want. As David (and the videos) mentioned, as long as you treat each song folder as a self-contained entity, you can copy them to & from the MUSIC folder with impunity. Whenever you display the song list on the dp24 (Menu, Song), it will only show songs which have a corresponding folder in the MUSIC folder.

Re. not being able to erase songs on the dp24, the only thing I can think of is that they have been 'protected', although the error message should have indicated this. If a song is protected, it should have a padlock symbol next to it in the song list (Menu, Song). If you highlight the reqd. song and display the song functions (Create, Load, etc), and scroll down, one of the options is 'Protect' - this will toggle the protection on and off.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you both for your advice. I've been using Windows for years, but only occasionally created new files/folders in either desktop, or documents. I was anxious bc of real danger of corrupting unit. I'm comfortable with the procedure now...

I have a very stupid question, and there's no specific thread for stupid questions so I'll ask it here because it's related to the SD card.

Has anyone actually removed an SD card from a DP machine while it was turned on with the transport stopped in multitrack mode?

The reason I ask is, I wonder if while it's stopped and doing nothing, would it even notice that the card had been ejected? It depends on the OS (which I believe to be Linux), but I think I'm gonna do a full backup of my SD card, and just try it and see what happens.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.