DA-88 problem

Matts Alsberg

Gear owned
DA-88
Yesterday I brought my DA-88 out of retirement. Beside having problems with the eject function and getting an "s-error 11" message, the meters show signal but I'm not getting any signal from either RCA jacks or the balanced multijack output. Any ideas?

I am no expert in these units but the first place I would start is the input settings and the fact that it has sat this long, is that the battery in the unit that powered the memory is probably out so that it will not remember what you set it for. I have had to tear that machine apart before just for the battery replacement. I put a socket in and a 2450 like battery which is still CR lithium battery but allows you to change the battery when it goes bad without taking the unit apart.

Thanks for the help, Skyware TDR. I'm going to try replacing the battery. I've made sure it's set to analog already.

The DA88 will still work with the battery dead.The S error 11 problem is the lube in the transport has dried up-the dead output-check the solder joints on the 78xx regulators on the A/D card.They power the analog circuitry on both the A/D card and D/A card.The battery is easy to replace-no need to "tear apart the machine".

Thanks for helping out, wkrbee. After running the machine for a bit, there is no longer a problem with the eject function, and the s error 11 message is gone. Here's another strange thing, however: When I engage "record function" on any or all of the 8 tracks it's meter goes straight into the red and stays there until I disengage it, with nothing connected to the inputs. I also tried recording with nothing connected to inputs, and sure enough signal is registered on the tape. It seems like there's some kind of internal feedback going on in the machine. Thoughts, anyone?

Hi,..i am new to this forum and by profession i am a hardware design engineer. As per my knowledge the DA88 will still work with the battery dead.The S error 11 problem is the lube in the transport has dried up-the dead output-check the solder joints on the 78xx regulators on the A/D card.They power the analog circuitry on both the A/D card and D/A card.

printed circuits assembly

Last edited:
He is just making sure it got through. Ha!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.