Gear owned
dp24sd
Size of card - 32Gb
"total size" per DP - 29.8Gb
Biggest song - 1.8 Gb
smallest song - 45Mb
Available space - 5.9 Gb

Available space after deleting unused from 26 songs - 16.2 Gb

Deleting unused yielded 10.3 Gb additional space, averaging .4 Gb per song.

percentage of card used before delete unused - 80 percent
percentage of card used after delete unused - 45.6 percent

I hope this is interesting!

Matt B

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes Matt, it is very interesting, but I think you must like living on the edge by allowing 10.3 Gb of unsused data to accumulate before deleting it. I often delete several times per session.

I just finished a CD project. I am unfamiliar with exactly what the "delete unused" does. (Yeah, it removes the stuff that wasn't used...) I wanted to finish the project before I tried it.

Removing the clutter scares me. What if I lose something I want?:)

Matt B

Reactions: -mjk-
You won't. That's why it says "unused". Whatever the machine records it creates files. If you punch in and record something over, it doesn't actually delete what's previously recorded - it creates a new file. The machine manages all those little snippets and it doesn't delete the unused things until you tell it to. As you found out, all those used pieces of audio data can take up quite a bit of space on the card. That's what delete unused is for. It deletes all the audio files that are no longer being used.

The only caveat I would express, is make sure that you're done with the particular take. Because if you delete the unused files then you can't use the undo button. Typically I delete unused at the end of a session when I'm finished for the day. But sometimes several times per sessions if it's a long day.

New threads

Staff online

Members online