Digital Mixers - Are they outdated? Somone said so

Discussion in 'Non-TASCAM Equipment and Accessories' started by TorchMusic, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Arjan P

Arjan P Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    One good use of the control surface function for me is to solo tracks from the DAW to have them sound with the DM's and external effects. That's a little harder to do from the 'mixer' function alone.
  2. TorchMusic

TorchMusic New Member

Gear:
    DM 4800
    I can't wait to check that out. But I need to get some sleep LOL! Been up all night.
  3. captdan

captdan Well-Known Member

Northern California
    Gear:
    DM3200
    Arjan mentioned an interesting point: accessing the Remote Layer (DAW control) for specific tasks. I use the mute functions frequently as well - mostly as workaround for latency issues. (Long story for another thread).

There are other advantages to this method: creating special efx, for example. Say you want to make a cymbal crescendo out of a standard splash cymbal wave. Simple: automate the Remote layer fader, and have it play back at the appropriate time in the OTB mix. Yes, this can be done onboard the DM as well; but it's just another 'pair of hands' at the console.

The DM isn't just a control surface; nor is it merely a 'digital mixer.' It's a powerful, hybrid tool - the likes of which I just don't see in the price-point competition. Or above it, for that matter.

CaptDan