Digital Mixers - Are they outdated? Somone said so

One good use of the control surface function for me is to solo tracks from the DAW to have them sound with the DM's and external effects. That's a little harder to do from the 'mixer' function alone.

I can't wait to check that out. But I need to get some sleep LOL! Been up all night.

Arjan mentioned an interesting point: accessing the Remote Layer (DAW control) for specific tasks. I use the mute functions frequently as well - mostly as workaround for latency issues. (Long story for another thread).

There are other advantages to this method: creating special efx, for example. Say you want to make a cymbal crescendo out of a standard splash cymbal wave. Simple: automate the Remote layer fader, and have it play back at the appropriate time in the OTB mix. Yes, this can be done onboard the DM as well; but it's just another 'pair of hands' at the console.

The DM isn't just a control surface; nor is it merely a 'digital mixer.' It's a powerful, hybrid tool - the likes of which I just don't see in the price-point competition. Or above it, for that matter.

CaptDan

New threads

Staff online

Members online