DM 3200/4800 - Windows 10 Compatibility - My Final Results

As I suggested earlier, did you download the latest firewire driver version from here (V1.30f9.)?
https://dev.tascam-parc.com/parc_beta/
Username : iffwdm
Password : firefly

I don't recall getting that message but if you are then try running the installation file in Comparability Mode (Windows 7). The drivers install in Windows 10, that much I know.

As suggested in my sticky, I strongly recommend using the OHCI legacy firewire drivers or else you're going to have stability issues.

Hey cmaffia, Thank you so much for the firewire card file location. I beleive it uses the windows 8.1 platform. Good to know I can use my 16 gb of ram with my window 10 home. I downloaded it and it installed the firewire control panel and I installed the TMC companion throught the USB cable. When I opened up cubase it showed up in the device setting and my firewire card shows that it is locked. Also under the info panel for the firewire it shows that my motherboard firewire card is compatable. And it is listed in the suggested firewire card list as being ok. Now I have to try routing the mixer buses to cubase and protools and try setting the automation perameters. Hopefully that will gang up together and I will be able to record with fader control. Thanks again for saving me all kinds of headaches. If I run into any issues I will let you know. Take Care

Does anyone have any experience yet with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607) and our favorite mixer? I'm a bit apprehensive about letting it install (bad experience on a laptop).

No issues

Other than I had to renable legacy windows FireWire driver and revisit my power management tweaks. Other than that no change in firewire performance.

Reactions: Arjan P
Thank you all for this very informative thread. It's a goldmine.

As I see the FW official driver published for Mac OS, but nothing "official" for the PC world, I wonder if Tascam has not given up supporting MSoft last OS... If so, why not develop a new USB 3.0 card derived from the current FW série? Given the large DM-xxxx user base, that would be potentially profitable, no? I doubt it would even need a complete redesign of the said card and it would show a definitive commitment to their customers. Good idea?

Support hasn't been dropped as of yet. I've been told that the plan is to eventually release an official windows 10 driver. Currently it's not a priority for Tascam right now in relation to their newer products. In the meantime you can use the latest beta drivers knowing that they work.

Hello cmaffia,

I would easily understand Tascam dropping the PC users when MS itself appears to try to concentrate on fewer old protocols to move on to newer ones. In this ever changing world we live in, profitability rules. Hence this idea of a new USB card for the years to come. I don't like the idea of turning a DM-4800 in an oversized paperweight. But I fear the software editors even more. Cakewalk is clearly dropping W7 and I've been told to migrate to W10 ASAP by their support techies.

One thing I should explore is the dual boot option like yours. I've never done this before. As I will need to build a new DAW in the next months, I suppose that it would help to keep my aging hardware active... not to mention myself!:) Still a lot to learn, even after a whole life in the domain...

Sadly, I am 1000% sure there will not be any new Tascam option cards made for the DM 3200/4800 unless its done by a 3rd party like the 2SeeMy card. The DM4800 was discontinued almost 2 years ago and the DM3200 is approaching end of life. Like I said, support hasn't been dropped yet as the DM3200 is still being manufactured as far as I know however I wouldn't be surprised if we see the DM3200 added to the Legacy list in 2017.

This is a great read! Thank you so much for all the research! I updated my new computer a couple of weeks ago. I got mackie controls working. I've installed legacy fw driver and tcm companion reads the card but when I try to record anything Cubase tells me the asio driver is not running. Also can't get sound out. Any ideas? A friend of mine told me to install everything with the interface disconnected...does this matter? If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated! Thank you!

Are you using the ASIO driver in Cubase? Never experienced this issue. Would be helpful if you included your system specs in your signature. What version of Cubase? You should be using either the latest version of Cubase 8 or the latest version of 8.5 with Windows 10.

Though it may be better to use the latest version, I can assure you that Cubase 7.5 works fine with Windows 10. No clue about the ASIO problem though. Does the IFFWDMmkII Control Panel show 'Locked'?

You're right Arjan. I bet even version 5 works as well.

@Robfan Did the board work before on Windows 7? Was this an upgrade from a working environment?

I'd also like to add that the Windows 10 Anniversary build is much snappier than the previous builds. Load up time seems a little quicker and also applications appear to perform quicker as well. Cubase seems to float nicely. Seems to load more from memory than disk in my opinion. There doesn't appear to be a change in Tascam ASIO performance. In other words, nothing broke and there's a bump in overall performance.

I've updated the first post in this Link with some more specific information.

Reactions: Arjan P
Oh, wow! Sorry I haven't replied yet! Saw your answers now! It's a new computer, old obe crashed. HDD failure. The board worked on Win 7. I'm trying both Win 7 and Win 10 on the new comp. I'm going to the studio tomorrow! I'll check all your suggestions then! Thank you!

So this is a whole new computer? You're not using the old board at all?

Brand new! New fw card. Tried today. New cable. Still not working. Still says Recording Error: Asio driver is not running when I click record in Cubase.

I'm using v8.0.30 of Cubase. When did they release v8.5. I updated everything just a couple of weeks ago.

New threads

Members online